Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Is there any word as to what will open in that spot?

Quote Originally Posted by K-slice View Post
    Also gained Greyson in a permanent location [[the old JV store), and XHIBITION if you count Capitol Park.

I'd be surprised if Hudson's retail spaces aren't filled already behind the scenes. They've had long enough to entice retailers!
    They seemed to be struggling even pre-pandemic to get commitments for some elements of the Hudson site and, of course, the market has changed considerably [[not in a good way) since then.

In regards to workers downtown, that'll never be near what it once was. Even if 75% of businesses have folks in-office, that'll likely only be for a couple days a week or so. The market for any services reliant on office workers downtown is going to be much smaller.

Really need to orient a lot of the office space downtown into residential space. Seems like there is still strong demand and, honestly, that's better than offices as those folks are downtown 24/7. I am curious, however, if that same desire to pay top notch to live downtown when the draw of being near your job isn't as important?

Anyways, I know I'm rambling...but I'm concerned about the future of downtown. The thing is, every single downtown across the country is dealing with similar issues.

Maybe just try to bring more restaurants/bars along Woodward?

We're going to have a lot more office space then before the pandemic. The worker postulation will definitely be back to where it was at least.

Quote Originally Posted by stinkytofu View Post
    They seemed to be struggling even pre-pandemic to get commitments for some elements of the Hudson site and, of course, the market has changed considerably [[not in a good way) since then.

In regards to workers downtown, that'll never be near what it once was. Even if 75% of businesses have folks in-office, that'll likely only be for a couple days a week or so. The market for any services reliant on office workers downtown is going to be much smaller.

Really need to orient a lot of the office space downtown into residential space. Seems like there is still strong demand and, honestly, that's better than offices as those folks are downtown 24/7. I am curious, however, if that same desire to pay top notch to live downtown when the draw of being near your job isn't as important?

Anyways, I know I'm rambling...but I'm concerned about the future of downtown. The thing is, every single downtown across the country is dealing with similar issues.

Maybe just try to bring more restaurants/bars along Woodward?
    Many shopping districts rely on people from all around the city and outside the city to shop in the districts not those who live in those districts. Places such as Grosse Pointe, Birmingham, Royal Oak, and Ferndale have retail districts or straps but have amuch larger residential communities to sustain their districts. Downtown Detroit doesn't have the strong residential base to solely support a retail and restaurant district. This is why it's important to have a reliable transportation system to bring shoppers and event goers downtown so they won't have to park at pricey shopping meters. Bring middle end stores downtown such as Nautica, Columbia, Ann Taylor, etc and have a sprinkle of urbane gear and t shirt shopswith it. Carhartt, which is not on the main drag, bring in more shoppers who actually leave the store carrying bags. That should tell you what the average person is willing to spend.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4