Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Shollin View Post
    Does anyone outside of the Midwest really aspire to go to Chicago? When i was young there was plenty to do in Detroit, except it all revolved around cars. We used to just drive up and down Gratiot and drag on Outer Drive or Charlevoix/Vernor. Everything we did as youngsters involved cars.
    I think NYC, SF and DC are the top places where younger people want to live. Seattle, Chicago, maybe Austin and a few others are on the next tier down. However, a LOT of people I know avoid Chicago because they think that the snow would be terrible. Strange, they never say that about NYC.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    I think NYC, SF and DC are the top places where younger people want to live. Seattle, Chicago, maybe Austin and a few others are on the next tier down. However, a LOT of people I know avoid Chicago because they think that the snow would be terrible. Strange, they never say that about NYC.
    There is a perception that Chicago is significantly colder than NYC. It's probably a little colder at the depths of winter, but we're talking about the difference between "cold as Hell" [[NYC) and "cold as fuck" [[Chicago)... Then there's "just too damn cold" [[Minneapolis).

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    There is a perception that Chicago is significantly colder than NYC. It's probably a little colder at the depths of winter, but we're talking about the difference between "cold as Hell" [[NYC) and "cold as fuck" [[Chicago)... Then there's "just too damn cold" [[Minneapolis).
    I read in one of [[Harvard economist) Ed Glaeser's books that January temperature is the factor that has most predicted population growth in US cities in the last century. So, while there are many interrelated factors at play, mild winters certainly are one factor.

In Chicago, the average high in January is 31, and the average low 18, with 38.5 inches of average snowfall.

In Detroit, the average high in January is 32, and the average low is 19, with 41.1 inches of average snowfall.

In Mineappolis, the average high in January is 24, and the average low is 7, with 49.9 inches of snow per winter.

New York is notably warmer, with an average high of 38 and an average low of 27, with about 28 inches of average snowfall, depending on where in the city you measure. [[The 28 figure is from Central Park.) While these differences seem marginal on paper, they are significant. I have lived in DC, NYC, and in Boston, with NY and Boston each being 5 degrees cooler average as you go north, and those 5 degree differences between the cities can be huge in terms of how bad the winter feels.
    Last edited by cman710; December-05-12 at 04:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    I think Chicago is colder than New York. Inland cold weather usually starts breaking up when it meets the Atlantic, which is pretty warm for an ocean. All that cold air blowing down from North Dakota [[yikes!) onto Chicago can really make it colder. Average January temperature for New York is 32.1. For Chicago, 22.0. [[For Honolulu, 73.0!)

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    .... However, a LOT of people I know avoid Chicago because they think that the snow would be terrible. Strange, they never say that about NYC.
    I tell people ALL the time that the nickname "Windy City" is about politics, and not weather, and people think I'm crazy.