Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by jackie5275 View Post
    Budgeting is not the determining factor of running of county government. Delivery of services is primary. If Oakland is so great, why did they run out of H1N1 flu vaccine while Wayne County keeps having weekly mass immunization clinics? Why does it take Oakland 3 days after a snowfall to clean the main roads when Wayne can do it in one day or less?
    Maybe in the more rural, outlying areas it takes that long to clear the snow, around where I live [[ Somerset Mall area ) the snow is gone just about the time it hits the ground.

Up until very recently, while parts of Oakland county have had to deal with a declining populations and tax base, the county as a whole has not. Now it does. The resources exist in the county to do that, but it is a different game, and if previously your solution to everything was growth, it requires a change of mindset.

Are you saying that you think the sprawl was the CAUSE of OC's financial woes? If that's the case, then why are municipalities all over Michigan also in deep shit right now?
    Pretty much all of non-rural Michigan is sprawl, with an occasional town surrounded by sprawl, so you can't really distinguish between how well/badly different parts are doing based on sprawl--it would be like distinguishing between parts of Lake Michigan on the basis of wetness. I doubt that sprawl is the cause of Oakland County's problems, but it may make it harder to deal with some of those problems.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    Maybe in the more rural, outlying areas it takes that long to clear the snow, around where I live [[ Somerset Mall area ) the snow is gone just about the time it hits the ground.
    OCRC concentrates its efforts in the I-75 Troy corridor & surrounding area which works out well for you. I've had many snowy drives from work in Livonia to home in Pontiac along Telegraph, Orchard Lk Rd, Middlebelt, etc. These are developed areas. It is like night & day crossing over 8 Mile.