Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

I think that the kind of move Gilbert is playing is bound to be beneficial to the region if everybody recognizes that Southfield losing ground to Detroit is not better than the other way around. OK there is competition btwn burbs and centers everywhere, but the need to propel the metro to another level cannot be done without Detroit, not just the CBD but a healthy Detroit. This is where the what's in it for me? I was talking about in another post English, comes in. I mean if the burbs are hurting, they might just entertain the notion a proper medication will overcome the strokes that lead to partial paralysis or death.

His chess game includes the Somerset Collection CityLoft where he is trying to inject business into the core. He is an interesting guy to watch. I think that his actions are prompting Moroun to redo the MCS and other investors to walk the talk.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    His chess game includes the Somerset Collection CityLoft where he is trying to inject business into the core. He is an interesting guy to watch. I think that his actions are prompting Moroun to redo the MCS and other investors to walk the talk.
    The CityLoft is another story entirely. A lot of parallels can be seen in the Apple Store rumors. He has been trying mightily to lure retail to Detroit, but to no avail. CityLoft is his effort to show the retailers that have spurned his inquiries, that there is retail demand in Detroit. It is all part, however, of his ongoing effort to rebuild the heart of the city to give not only his employees but many others a desirable place to live, work and play. CityLoft is about a lot more than just trying to 'inject' business into the core.