Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Thread: "Frank Rizzo"

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Well THANX for your opinions. As I reread the thread, the subject @ hand seems to be anyone who lives in the 'burbs is a thinly veiled racist. When the argument was presented that that wasn't necessarily the case, you don't want to hear it. When reasons are pointed out why someone would choose to live outside the City, you yell "Detroit bashing". You are, of course, entitled to your opinions, one sided as they may be.
    Incorrect on both accounts:

1. I believe it is clear that the topic at hand is about the veiled racism in the suburbs which does not imply that all suburbanites are racist.

2. I did not 'yell "Detroit bashing", I pointed out how when discussing the veiled racism of some in the suburbs it is often easily to delfect the conversation to how messed up Detroit is. When I mentioned the thinkly veiled racist comment about not being able to live south of 16, JVB chose to change it to 8 mile then complain about Detroit. In fact, my follow up post even acknowledges how messed up Detroit is and only spoke of the tendency to deflect the conversation to how messed up Detroit is as opposed to staying on the topic at hand.

I'm perfectly comfortable that there are a number of reasons to live outside the city and that everyone has their own tastes and desires. What I am not comfortable with are claims that 'they ruined Detroit' and the like.

If you're going to claim my opinions are one sided at least have the common courtesy to follow the conversation without inferring something that was never said or implied.

JVB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
    When I mentioned the thinkly veiled racist comment about not being able to live south of 16, JVB chose to change it to 8 mile then complain about Detroit.
    Why do you keep saying that, when that's not what was said? You do realize that in a forum post people can back and read what was written don't you?

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    But I think the names of these bastions of racial bigotry will not be proffered. The names will stay locked away inside someone's imagination.

Right where they started.
    That's why I called him out on it, I knew he was making it up as an excuse to spew his racial diatribe.

Quote Originally Posted by JVB View Post
    Why do you keep saying that, when that's not what was said? You do realize that in a forum post people can back and read what was written don't you?
    Re-read your post 52. You dismiss my statement by mentioning that people say you can't live south of 8 mile, then use that as a means to state that there is nothing inherently racist in the statement because Detroit is messed up.

There are two things at play here:
    1. You glossed over the south of 16 mile statement [[and again, I want to hang out where you do if you never hear of such things) because that would continue the dialogue at hand.

2. You bring up a similar type of statement that distorts the conversation, to justify the statement I mentioned is not veiled racism.

Sooooo, a couple facts [[1) I have heard you can't live south of 16 many, many times. Do you find that to be veiled racism [[even if you've never heard it) [[2) I agree when people say you can't live south of 8 because the city is messed up but that has nothing to do with the original statement presented.

JVB Guest

1. You glossed over the south of 16 mile statement [[and again, I want to hang out where you do if you never hear of such things) because that would continue the dialogue at hand.
    I didn't gloss over it, I addressed it directly by saying I had never heard that. I wouldn't even know what to make of a statement like that since Royal Oak, Huntington Woods, pleasant Ridge, Bingham Farms, Beverly Hills, Franklin, parts of Troy and Sterling Heights etc etc etc all are south of 16 mile or partly south of 16 mile. That statement doesn't even make any sense.

I have heard you can't live south of 16 many, many times. Do you find that to be veiled racism [[even if you've never heard it)
    If you say you've heard that so be it, but no I don't find that racist in the least. The vast majority of the population south of 16 mile is white, at least until you get to 8 mile so I don't know how it could be racist for someone to say they don't want to live near "those whites" in Madison Heights or whatever it is you seem to be implying. Am I missing something?