Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Malcove Magnesia View Post
    It's so refreshing to see such a warm welcome for a new grocery store & employer in Detroit.
    Yup. People on DYes bitch and moan about companies like Whole Foods avoiding Detroit and then when they DO open a store here...DYESers still bitch and moan about it.

Hey "Ho" foods, take your jobs for Detroiters and added tax revenue and get the hell out! You are not wanted here! What we clearly need is more liquor stores, beauty supply shops, cash advance places, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by aj3647 View Post
    Hey "Ho" foods, take your jobs for Detroiters and added tax revenue and get the hell out! You are not wanted here! What we clearly need is more liquor stores, beauty supply shops, cash advance places, etc.
    I don't know too many liquor stores that require millions in taxpayer funds to open their doors, and then go on wacky screeds about fighting racism and elitism.

Not too sure about these "jobs for Detroiters and added tax reveneue" either. Groceries are basically jobs-neutral, because people don't eat more food if you build more stores. As for tax revenue, they're getting 1.2 million in tax credits as part of the 4.3 milion in subsidies.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    I don't know too many liquor stores that require millions in taxpayer funds to open their doors, and then go on wacky screeds about fighting racism and elitism.

Not too sure about these "jobs for Detroiters and added tax reveneue" either. Groceries are basically jobs-neutral, because people don't eat more food if you build more stores. As for tax revenue, they're getting 1.2 million in tax credits as part of the 4.3 milion in subsidies.
    Walter Robb, Whole Foods CEO, On Opening Detroit Store: 'We're Going After the Money'

Every single person who works there will end up paying CoD income tax, will they not?

I don't know what all you jack monkeys are so pissed off about.

For one thing there are 250k Canadians across the border who have nothing comparable to Whole Foods and aren't afraid to come to the city to shop, unlike so many freaking suburbanites.

I'm pretty set on where I get my produce which is mix of more old-world places in Hamtramck, E. Dearborn and Royal Oak and eastern market once in a great while... but I will probably shop at WF for a few things, once in a while. But not for a five dollar box of crackers. I can get standard or gluten free for for less like at Trader Joes. Or Aldies.

I wonder what YOBS is feeling about all of this? I was just there today... nice store. Much larger than I thought. Sorta light on the butchered meats, but great place overall.
    Last edited by Zacha341; May-29-13 at 06:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    For one thing there are 250k Canadians across the border who have nothing comparable to Whole Foods and aren't afraid to come to the city to shop, unlike so many freaking suburbanites.
    I'm reasonably sure that Canadians have access to grocery stores, and don't need to get passports and go through the Customs gauntlet in order to procure tofu, arugula or hormone free chicken.

Not defending HF but it takes just a day trip to Windsor to see that their grocery stores do not have the variety of even a Kroger which has over 50 kinds of cereal options and they have far less. We may have 20 versions of toothpaste in our CVS for example, they have 10! There is LESS choice so that might influence some to do the customs thing.
    Last edited by Zacha341; May-28-13 at 08:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Not defending HF but it takes just a day trip to Windsor to see that their grocery stores do not have the variety of even a Kroger which has over 50 kinds of cereal options and they have far less. We may have 20 versions of toothpaste in our CVS for example, they have 10! There is LESS choice so that might influence some to do the customs thing.
    OMG! I had NO idea Canada is such an impoverished nation! They should apply for aid from the US. They must have squandered the money from that shuttle robotic arm.

I'm reasonably sure that Canadians have access to grocery stores, and don't need to get passports and go through the Customs gauntlet in order to procure tofu, arugula or hormone free chicken.
    I was just in Canada today discussing with Canadians the phenomenon of Canadians shopping in the US. It's slightly cheaper and they say they don't have equivalents of Whole Foods or Trader Joe's in southwestern Ontario. Hordes of them shop at Meijer's, Honey Bee, and even the Trader's in Grosse Pointe. They're thrilled about the Whole Foods in Midtown.

But what would Canadians know about Canadians...you're the expert...
    Last edited by poobert; May-28-13 at 08:30 PM.

I was just in Canada today discussing with Canadians the phenomenon of Canadians shopping in the US. It's slightly cheaper and they say they don't have equivalents of Whole Foods or Trader Joe's in southwestern Ontario. Hordes of them shop at Meijer's, Honey Bee, and even the Trader's in Grosse Pointe. They're thrilled about the Whole Foods in Midtown.

How many did you survey? 20, 30, 40, 2 ? Just curious. Your post is so definitive about Canadians and their shopping habits.

You're right, I don't know about Canadians' grocery habits.

But I do know that you need a passport to cross, which already eliminates half of Canadians. And I doubt the rest want to chance insults, interrogation and strip-searches for a head of lettuce [[all of which have happened to friends of mine when crossing to the U.S. side).

That's for certain...

Quote Originally Posted by aj3647 View Post
    Every single person who works there will end up paying CoD income tax, will they not?