Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

I agree with you that a lot of the buildings in Detroit are in bad shape but it would be impossible for a city who lost over 500,000 people in 20 years to not look like this. There are fewer people to operate a business and fewer people to support those business and fewer people to live in those homes.

Quote Originally Posted by Strong View Post
    I agree with you that a lot of the buildings in Detroit are in bad shape but it would be impossible for a city who lost over 500,000 people in 20 years to not look like this. There are fewer people to operate a business and fewer people to support those business and fewer people to live in those homes.
    More like 1 Million people over 50 years.

Detroit's commercial corridors have been on the decline since the expressways took all the traffic. As a youngster, in the mid 70's, watching Grand River decline incrementally, as the Jeffries grew [[first Livernois, then Schaefer), and within ten years riding the Grand River bus to high-school, it was impossible not to notice the abandonment.

To me, the beauty lies [[what's left of it) in those old buildings along Fenkell or Mack, Gratiot, Dexter, Grand River, Chene, etc, each with their own unique decoration, enamel, clay roof, Aztec design, 45 degree cut-out entrance, bake-lite exterior, or other unique decoration. Even though I'm almost too young to have seen most of those quarters actually bustling, driving down any one of those streets teases the imagination.

And when that gets tiring, I like to escape to the Livingston Lighthouse tip of Belle Isle, where the Great Lakes take over.