Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Build out not up. Detroit has a lot of space

To me, I have more of an issue with the aesthetics than I do about building up. Regarding new tall buildings. To me it doesn't make any sense until they have enough tenants to justify this. This isn't Chicago, NYC or my now home town, San Francisco, where supply and demand, demands build tall. Detroit right now is going through some changes. I say, occupy the older buildings that need to be renovated and updated to compete with the later technology.

The design to me looks like something that architect, Frank Ghery would design. Guggenheim Museum Bilbao, Walt Disney Concert Hall and like.

Some of his designs are beautiful, while others, I'm like, what this guy smoking? It's subjective. But I think that this design is over the top. I'm all for designs that stand out vs plain ole vanilla design. But it has to compliment the rest of the skyline. So while I am for tall. Tall in this particular case isn't necessary yet. You need the tenants first.

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    Build out not up. Detroit has a lot of space
    This again and again. We dont need taller buildings as long as we have space to grow in the downtown thru midtown areas. You build up when there is no longer space to build out. This is assuming Detroit is able to even fill the downtown and midtown areas in the next 20-30 years. Population in the city is still declining as far as Ive been able to gather. Gilbert and Co. are moving jobs downtown and some people have moved down there to be closer to work but this is a local phenomenon. Young professionals from elsewhere in the nation aren't moving in droves to be part of Detroit's renaissance

Quote Originally Posted by rex View Post
    This again and again. We dont need taller buildings as long as we have space to grow in the downtown thru midtown areas. You build up when there is no longer space to build out.
    Absolute no city in the world grows like that. Building up reduces the distance needed to travel to get to another area or to put it in other terms, reduces sprawl.

A lot of people point out European cities as a model, but they grew outward because literally it was impossible to build over several floors up until about 3 century ago [[most European cities have been around for many more centuries than that). Obviously, there were no elevators which limits how many floors people are willing to climb among other things. But once high rise building became feasible, European cities all over started building them. Why? Because it's the smartest and most efficient way to build a city.

I'm not saying every new development in Detroit needs to be a high rise, but neither should they be limited to some arbitrary height which has no significance here. You might as well call LBP and tell him Detroit residents are ready for some sprawl because that'll sure fill up vacant land fast.