Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

For intermediate photos from the station, between when it was newish and today, I offer these links:

1973 - http://onlyndetroit.com/html/decay/o...-all_abord.htm

1982 - http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/galle...4250808&Ref=PH

See also the MC Depot Arcadia book.

This link may provide you some other resources:
    http://savemcs.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Rocko View Post
    For intermediate photos from the station, between when it was newish and today, I offer these links:
    Thanks for these valuable links, Rocko.

After Amtrak left, why did the subsequent owners of the property not do something to prevent the wholesale looting and defacement of the station?

Quote Originally Posted by jmlowman View Post
    Thanks for these valuable links, Rocko.

After Amtrak left, why did the subsequent owners of the property not do something to prevent the wholesale looting and defacement of the station?
    If you read the book by Arcadia you would know that two people owned the building prior to matty. the first guy I'm told by Garnet Cousins - the historical authority on the station the guy from the 1987 video on youtube - that the first guy sold quite a bit of the interior to various restaurants around the area [[though some wound up in chicago). All the while never putting a fence up....then the next company was a security company who probably bought it as an investment opportunity at $80,000.

Most of the the stations current condition is due to the "protection" from the first two owners [[check out the Arcadia book and you'll see a poster from 1993 that shows the building looking quite a bit like it does today - matty bought the building in 1994).

Thanks for the information. It's been a while since I read the book, so looks like some review is in order.

just a quick correction; the first owner spoken above was a developer. he hired the security company to keep tabs on the building while he owned it. he wasn't able to make his plans work and the building went into foreclosure. the security company received the building for payment of their services that went unpaid [[they put a lien on the building).

my boss was one of the last people/companies out of the office tower. i documented the final years of the maintained station on here in a previous thread, you might be able to find it with the search if anyone's interested.

Thanks for clearing up some of the info, while you definitely helped out why they owned the building, photos from the period the developer owned and forfeited the building show the two definitely did nothing to protect the building as most of the broken windows and graffiti occurred during their ownership, in fact no fence was erected until about 1993.

Will definitely look up your post if it's still up! =) Always interested in new information!