Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

Easily the worst bank HQ ever built downtown. I can't believe they're treating it as some kind of prestige project.

I wouldn't care so much if it wasn't so prominent. It's twice as tall as the surrounding buildings. It's also taller than the David Whitney Building and only 50 feet shorter than Broderick Tower, so this building will be replacing those two in any prominent views.

Also the garage is 10 floors tall and it only holds 320 cars. So 32 cars per floor. Even from aerials you can tell that the site isn't wide enough for a proper garage. So not only is the garage dragging down the project as a whole the garage itself is an awful garage.

at this point I'd rather have 10 floors of parking that 10 surface lots !
    I can't take a tall building on Woodward. The parking won't stick out too much.
    At least TCF thought better than adding to the sea of parking lots already behind their building .

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    Easily the worst bank HQ ever built downtown. I can't believe they're treating it as some kind of prestige project.

I wouldn't care so much if it wasn't so prominent. It's twice as tall as the surrounding buildings. It's also taller than the David Whitney Building and only 50 feet shorter than Broderick Tower, so this building will be replacing those two in any prominent views.

Also the garage is 10 floors tall and it only holds 320 cars. So 32 cars per floor. Even from aerials you can tell that the site isn't wide enough for a proper garage. So not only is the garage dragging down the project as a whole the garage itself is an awful garage.

E
    Ah yes, we really have jumped the shark when it comes to expectations in the city when we complain about another 21 story building in our skyline. I was around this forum when we were happy someone was at least boarding up a skyscraper, and not leaving it to the elements. 300 employees, no surface parking and ground floor retail.... they can build these everywhere as far as I am concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by JDKeepsmiling View Post
    Ah yes, we really have jumped the shark when it comes to expectations in the city when we complain about another 21 story building in our skyline. I was around this forum when we were happy someone was at least boarding up a skyscraper, and not leaving it to the elements. 300 employees, no surface parking and ground floor retail.... they can build these everywhere as far as I am concerned.
    Amen.

Fingers crossed this one doesn’t encounter the same delays other projects have seen in getting off the ground as of late. With the need to have a consolidated HQ building soon, I am optimistic that it forces the construction to happen sooner rather than later.

Also hopeful TCF as a whole is able to grow more [[i.e. more corporate acquisitions), as long of course as the HQ remains here. Hopefully that brings more jobs to the CBD, and with it obviously more residents to fill the growing number of apartments and condos opening up in the greater CBD.

I couldn't agree more. The building should have been the same height as the buildings next door, and placed the garage in the back. But no they need a phallic symbol for whatever egotistical CEO is in charge.

Quote Originally Posted by casscorridor View Post
    I couldn't agree more. The building should have been the same height as the buildings next door, and placed the garage in the back. But no they need a phallic symbol for whatever egotistical CEO is in charge.
    Seriously? Scale is important, but it's not like this is totally out of place. We have a dozen of 20+ story buildings located adjacent to 10-ish story or shorter buildings with no complaints. Plus, location is everything. This building will have both a Woodward frontage, a never before seen curb appeal on Elizabeth, and killer South views from the top floors.

It's not like this is a 700 footer next to a 50 foot building. Are you complaining about the proposed 700 foot Hudson site tower adjacent to the 50 foot Skillman Library? Sure we can complain about all the parking being above grade instead of below, but our demand vs cost is not there yet.

I don't want Detroit to settle for just any development. We are beyond that 2005 way of thinking. However, complaining about a quality development in a part of downtown that really needs it, because the building is 150 feet taller than it's neighbor...GTFO!

^^^
    Agree. Wonder if the architects had the foresight to have the parking portion convertible to office space at a later time.
    On that note, I think all future parking structures should keep this in mind especially if a complete demolition is not feasible.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitSoldier View Post
    Seriously? Scale is important, but it's not like this is totally out of place. We have a dozen of 20+ story buildings located adjacent to 10-ish story or shorter buildings with no complaints. Plus, location is everything. This building will have both a Woodward frontage, a never before seen curb appeal on Elizabeth, and killer South views from the top floors.

It's not like this is a 700 footer next to a 50 foot building. Are you complaining about the proposed 700 foot Hudson site tower adjacent to the 50 foot Skillman Library? Sure we can complain about all the parking being above grade instead of below, but our demand vs cost is not there yet.

I don't want Detroit to settle for just any development. We are beyond that 2005 way of thinking. However, complaining about a quality development in a part of downtown that really needs it, because the building is 150 feet taller than it's neighbor...GTFO!
    If the entire building was office, I wouldn't be complaining about the height. It's the fact that half of it is parking, which means the bottom half is essentially de-activated and lifeless. I don't really care about height, although I think some on this board obsess about it. Architecturally, the design is not great, but it's also about what I'd expect from TCF Bank, so I can't really complain. But in terms of urban design, placing any above ground parking on Woodward is a mistake and I think it deserves to be mentioned.