Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

As much as I am loathe to due recycling [[due to the extra work of sorting), I do support the idea and wonder why it is not even discussed as an option for the city. Or perhaps it has come up in the past??
    Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    Stuck in the past, Detroit doesn't improve its trash burning capabilities as is the trend in Europe, but 'tears that sch**' down. I thought this was a progressive forum.

I'd like to hear where the trash mountain should be? Perhaps Grand River and 12th? Any other ideas?

DetroitPole Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    As much as I am loathe to due recycling [[due to the extra work of sorting), I do support the idea and wonder why it is not even discussed as an option for the city. Or perhaps it has come up in the past??
    ?

We have had a recylcing pilot program in East English Village and also in Rosedale Park [[and the surrounding areas of both) since Cockrel's administration started it. We don't need to sort. I'm not sure when it stops being a "pilot" or where it goes from here.

Unfortunately only about 25% of households in both areas participate. I have no idea what the other 75% that are idiots are doing, filling the bins with toys or making weapons out of them or what. It is especially inexcusable since all you need to do is fill the bins and put them out. This is in Detroit's best neighborhoods too: imagine what the participation rate would be for the poor and uneducated areas would be? Probably close to zero.

I also question what the city actually does with the recycling. I wouldn't put it past them to just throw it out, especially since they don't require sorting.

I put my bin out every week, nonetheless.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPole View Post
    ?

We have had a recylcing pilot program in East English Village and also in Rosedale Park [[and the surrounding areas of both) since Cockrel's administration started it. We don't need to sort. I'm not sure when it stops being a "pilot" or where it goes from here.

Unfortunately only about 25% of households in both areas participate. I have no idea what the other 75% that are idiots are doing, filling the bins with toys or making weapons out of them or what. It is especially inexcusable since all you need to do is fill the bins and put them out. This is in Detroit's best neighborhoods too: imagine what the participation rate would be for the poor and uneducated areas would be? Probably close to zero.

I also question what the city actually does with the recycling. I wouldn't put it past them to just throw it out, especially since they don't require sorting.

I put my bin out every week, nonetheless.
    I believe neighboring suburbs who recycle have compulsory partcipation. Although I've never heard of anyone ever getting a fine. I'm surprised the program wasn't piloted in Midtown or Woodbridge where you have a lot of younger residents who grew up with recycling when it started in the late 80's in the rest of the US.