While it could be a neat attraction, I am skeptical of the water taxi. It would not be something that I would prefer to see public dollars spent on when there are so many other more pressing transit needs that could use the funds.

If they want to install the docks for the taxi, I would be okay with that. But I would prefer the taxi boat service itself be operated by a private company. Obviously whether or not there is enough demand to pay for the water taxi service would be decided by the market. Given that the water taxi would be a leisure transit service, that is how it probably should be.

As an aside, I can see there being a demand for a taxi connecting downtown Detroit and Windsor. That service would benefit far more travelers, and make more sense in the near term. Unfortunately the new Detroit customs dock at Hart Plaza is not in the best location for such a service, as it is kind of isolated and disconnected from the rest of downtown. I always thought they messed up when they put the customs dock there. A much better location would have been by Joe Louis Arena, with the new port connected to the JLA people mover station. That would at least have provided arriving ferry passengers access to most of downtown via the people mover.