Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by aj3647 View Post
    The federal tax reform law will cause Michigan residents to pay MORE in state income taxes.

https://www.southbendtribune.com/new...b6fe5077d.html
    Nothingburger. The article quotes Snyder:
    "We should figure out how to give that back to the hard-working taxpayers."

First it would be nice to discuss a Detroit Metro issue without injecting party ideology heavily into it for a change. The election arguments have gone down here many times plus there is one constantly ongoing near the top of the non Detroit Board if one is inclined.

With that said how is it good for Michigan if:

1) The housing market here gets depressed in the slightest?

Honestly the housing market in this state has been the dumpster fire of the nation for the last 40 years. Literally, it has been the poster child of what you don’t want to happen to your housing market if you live in almost any other state. We need more new housing at all price levels including million and multimillion dollar homes and the jobs, services and wealth that come with them.

2) How is it good that the State of Michigan has to “figure out how to give money back” because of this bill?

The finance issues at the state level here are well known for a while now. Being realistic, Michigan is in no position to cut their income even further because they don’t have the endless deep pockets uncle sugar does and they already have been making cuts for a long time.

If a crappy housing market in comparison to other states and massive cuts to state spending was some sort of recipe for economic success we would have a lot less of the economic problems that we have had over several decades and be one of the booming local economies.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    Oh it's a "nothingburger" because Snyder has vaguely promised to "figure it out?" LOL. Man you guys are a hoot. Maybe he'll figure it out just as well as he figured out the Flint Water Crisis.

What the hell do you mean by nothingburger? Explain in layman's terms.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    He's just parroting words he hears Trump use. The fact that he puts total faith in Snyder's words should tell you all you need to know. Well gee, if Rick Snyder promises something, you can take that to the bank!

It must be Snyder's honest and trustworthy nature that got him that noteworthy 37% approval rating he currently holds.

Quote Originally Posted by aj3647 View Post
    He's just parroting words he hears Trump use. The fact that he puts total faith in Snyder's words should tell you all you need to know. Well gee, if Rick Snyder promises something, you can take that to the bank!

It must be Snyder's honest and trustworthy nature that got him that noteworthy 37% approval rating he currently holds.
    And the fact that they let him totally off the hook for Flint. He knew, he let others take the fall.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; December-27-17 at 06:05 PM.

It was a term used by CNN's Van Jones about the latest Trump-Russia collusion story from last June. In the context used there, it referred to a news story with no interesting content.

It was caught in one of those undercover sting videos by a conservative Youtube guy who has been caught deceptively editing his videos before, but in this case the context was pretty clear.

wikipedia: "Something of less importance than its treatment suggests." Think about a hamburger with no meat.

In my post, I quoted a newspaper quoting Snyder. He said the state should make adjustments to its taxes to make sure federal changes don't result in increased state taxes.

I agree with your perspective on this topic, but I would encourage you to avoid the use of "nothingburger".

I mostly associate it with right-wing propaganda that is trying to dismiss the mounting evidence of the Trump campaign's wrong-doings.

When you say "nothingburger" it will have the effect of making me disregard anything else you're going to say.

Perhaps I'm unique in this feeling, but I suspect I'm not.

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    ... Perhaps I'm unique in this feeling, but I suspect I'm not.
    You're not alone.

Lake Superior State University’s 43rd Annual List of Banished Words

I agree with your perspective on this topic, but I would encourage you to avoid the use of "nothingburger".

I mostly associate it with right-wing propaganda that is trying to dismiss the mounting evidence of the Trump campaign's wrong-doings.

When you say "nothingburger" it will have the effect of making me disregard anything else you're going to say.

The word has been around from the 1950s by a newspaper guy meaning a story that has no content,,anything else you want to add to the list of avoidable words,or maybe a few books that may contain words we do not agree with?

Sure. I don't think I've ever used the word before [[nor since).

I know words these days offend a lot of people. Judgements abound. And we would like to keep the conversation about ideas, and their impact on our fine City -- and not on whether this or that word is a dog-whistle.

Meanwhile, I'm gonna have a something-burger for dinner.

I wouldn't use anything associated with that "......" in the Oval Office.

Nope, your're not alone. We've been sitting back for a while now watching the "Wes account" babble on and on. While good ole Wes states he has not use it, he has at least a few times in the past.

The record correctly reflects that Wes is just another one of "those" Republicans who try to come across as independent or "moderate" only to try and sway the crowd toward their gross and failed Republican ideals.

All hat and no cattle . . .