Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit_uke View Post
    Like Ham said - proceed with caution. We have lived here in Warrendale for over 30 years. I am ready to walk away and just leave everything behind. There are no businesses nearby. There is nothing on Warren Ave. You have to go to Dearborn or Dearborn Hts to do any shopping...or basically anything. Warrendale has gas stations and drugstores. The deed to my house says DEARBORN TOWNSHIP as does the sign in the entryway of Leslie school. I have 12 abandoned homes on my little block. Some are boarded up - some not. Scrapped - yes...of course. Neighbors don't stay long enough for you to get to know. Not a happy place,.

Do you get angry sometimes? Is there a way of venting all the frustration or is walking away as you suggest a better way of dealing with it? I am not judging and am not being sarcastic, I am plainly disgusted like you about the real estate situation in US cities including Detroit. There were a lot of warning signs that the bubble would burst in so-called sturdy markets like Vegas, but even in cities that had lower values, the ownership craze fueled by unqualified buyers and swindle-lenders managed to further damage fragile neighborhoods.

Warendale was once a village in Dearborn Township when Detroit annexed all of it and parts of Dearborn Township, too in 1929. Houses and mon and pop businesses were developed and neighborhood was mostly white[[Italians, Germans and Poles.) Middle class black families arrived in Warrendale since the late 1970s only in small numbers. It became full blown north of W. Warren Ave. by 2000s. Ethnic Arabs [[Lebanese and Iraqi) families arrived in Warrendale since the mid 1980s. from Dearborn. they quickly filled the neighborhoods east of Southfield FWY, north of Paul St. Now they are expanding further westward to Dearborn Heights and the Westborn side of Dearborn. Mexican and Hispanics middle class families arrive in Warrendale in the late 1980s only in small numbers; haven't expanded yet.

By the early 2000s an influx of low-income black families arrived in its neighborhoods started from north of W.Warren Ave the expanded further south of W. Warren Ave. and west of Southfield FWY. near the Dearborn Heights border. Then the flow of drugs, violent crime and gang cliques from Joy Rds. and Chi-Towns and Clown Squads reign its streets.

Harry's Dept Store and Polish Owned Drugs Store is long gone replaced by Arab owned collision shops and Kronk Boxing Gym. Black owned barber shops to Arab owned Meat Markets are the dominate features that Warrendale have. Housing crisis, sudden forclosures and slumlords turn Warrendale neighborhoods into instant black ghettoes mixed in the kept up Arab and Mexican-Hispanic family homes.

Cody High School-Everette Elementary, and Ruddiman Middle School once flowing with white students from Warrendale. Cody High School is transformed to some progressive school in which is not progressing. Ruddiman Middle School is closed after the gang shooting incident that left serveral students injured. Saints Peter and Paul Cathloic School is long gone. Transformed into some doomed to failure charter school called Warrendale Accademy. Things are changing in Warrendale from the best times to worst. If Warrendale gets blighted near the Dearborn Border who would live there? Maybe the wild dogs and cats and pigeon rats.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    Do you get angry sometimes? Is there a way of venting all the frustration or is walking away as you suggest a better way of dealing with it? I am not judging and am not being sarcastic, I am plainly disgusted like you about the real estate situation in US cities including Detroit. There were a lot of warning signs that the bubble would burst in so-called sturdy markets like Vegas, but even in cities that had lower values, the ownership craze fueled by unqualified buyers and swindle-lenders managed to further damage fragile neighborhoods.
    A bubble didn't create what Warrendale turned into. That's the result of overbuilding in a region with a stagnant population.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    A bubble didn't create what Warrendale turned into. That's the result of overbuilding in a region with a stagnant population.
    Yes, maybe the "Too much of a good thing" applies to sprawling suburbs so that when people cant all afford the dream of owning a house as opposed to renting an apartment, the consequences can be dire for a community. Stretching the city didnt spread the wealth, that is for sure.

milesdriven / I have two friends who live in the area, and while 5-10 years ago it was very nice it's been in steady decline from an owner-occupied neighborhood to a section-8 hood. Closer to Paul is still okay, but closer to Warren is getting rough. One friend left for one night to visit family out of town, and her home was broken into and all her belongings, her furnace, and all the copper pipes were stolen.

Wow! Imagine a furnace being taken away. Sheesh.