Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
    Here's my two cents: Pine Knob.

The powers that be can change the name, but they can't make us call it by its new name!! Harmonie Park will live on....

Absolutely!! You can change the name, but for some of it it will always be Pine Knob and Harmonie Park. Amen

Quote Originally Posted by Claire View Post
    Absolutely!! You can change the name, but for some of it it will always be Pine Knob and Harmonie Park. Amen
    Claire... absolutely!!

They can change names all they want, but it means nothing if a new name is not used.

Other examples.... Jeffries Fwy to Rosa Parks Fwy [[she already has dibs on 12th St.), Earle Memorial Hwy [[Van Dyke in central/northern Macomb County).... James O'Hara Fwy [[I-94/Ford Fwy in Macomb County)... and the list goes on and on...

Agreed, the name change is just plain silly.

The park was named after the club [[likely in or after 1894), but I don't know what its' previous name was.
    It is identified as "Centre Park" in this 1930s era map. I don't know when it started being called "Harmonie Park", but there can be be no doubt that it took that name from the Harmonie Club across the street.

Name:  Detroit_east_CBD_map_1930s_.jpg
Views: 2012
Size:  35.2 KB

Note that there are seven surface parking lots identified on this 1930s map segment, all within 500 feet of each other.