Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    While working in an urban environment is certainly one appealing factor, it's a myth to believe it's the only factor millennials consider.

Millennials are practically busting down the doors to get into companies in suburban silicon valley [[I.E. Google, eBay, Facebook, etc.) or sprawly Houston / Dallas [[Shell, ConocoPhillips, Chevron, BP, etc.).

The OEMs, who are as old skool as you can get for Fortune 100 companies and are all largely based in the most soulless office parks you can imagine, are also having no problems attracting a ton of millennial employees either.

What do the above companies have in common? They all treat entry level employees well by offering them respectable pay and benefits, especially in an era where Millennials are poised to make 20% less than their parents and grandparents over a lifetime, hold much more debt and have far less job security. Can you say the same for Dan Gilbert's companies?

All of that said, while not a dealbreaker, I'm sure Millennials would love it if Detroit and Michigan for once can become a truly progressive and happening place. Instead, they have to deal with a government who insists on turning this region and state into Missisippi-lite.
    While millenials are busting down the doors to work at places like Google, facebook ect...these companies are catering to millenials by having shuttles between San Fran and Palo Alto, Mountain View ect.. Millenials still would prefer to live in the urban areas than the generic suburbs [[Norther California suburbs are not as bland as SE Michigan however). That is why San Fran has seen as much or more grown than Silicone Valley over the past 10 years, because the start ups and firms that can afford to be there [[and acquire enough office space) are there instead of the Valley. For example, SalesForce is building a tower in downtown San Fran, consolidating from office space in the peninsula.

Quote Originally Posted by tkelly1986 View Post
    While millenials are busting down the doors to work at places like Google, facebook ect...these companies are catering to millenials by having shuttles between San Fran and Palo Alto, Mountain View ect.. Millenials still would prefer to live in the urban areas than the generic suburbs [[Norther California suburbs are not as bland as SE Michigan however). That is why San Fran has seen as much or more grown than Silicone Valley over the past 10 years, because the start ups and firms that can afford to be there [[and acquire enough office space) are there instead of the Valley. For example, SalesForce is building a tower in downtown San Fran, consolidating from office space in the peninsula.
    I know a bunch of folks who work for SV firms, and virtually all work for them in spite of the location, not because of it.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    I know a bunch of folks who work for SV firms, and virtually all work for them in spite of the location, not because of it.
    I get contacted by Google recruiting at least once per year to work in Mountain View. Having to work in Mountain View is the reason I have never seriously considered going.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    Nothing makes you flexible like the pure green heat of money.