Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    And exactly what do you want 'in the equation'? While I think we'd all be better if we had zero government driven development and favored tax policy, we do. And it makes sense for it to be targeted to industrial and downtown. What else would we do? What is this magic that needs to be applied to the 'hoods?
    Well, I for one, would like some lighting. I've been paying City taxes for years now, is it going to be my turn soon? I would also like the sportsfans and yupsters to learn to cross streets. That way we could free up some of the DPD crossing guards, and maybe send them out on a call to my 'hood every once in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Well, I for one, would like some lighting. I've been paying City taxes for years now, is it going to be my turn soon? I would also like the sportsfans and yupsters to learn to cross streets. That way we could free up some of the DPD crossing guards, and maybe send them out on a call to my 'hood every once in a while.
    Lighting is on the way, and is ahead of schedule.

Your comment about yupsters crossing the street is rather humorous. Although, I would point out that the police are typically there to manage traffic when traffic lights are too dumb and inefficient to do it. The police see the current conditions, wait until there is a sufficient queue of pedestrian traffic, and then direct as the conditions dictate.

I've got a question for you, I've noticed some folks started using the terms "yupsters" and "yuppies" a lot more. I understand that it's meant to mean "young urban professional", but is it meant in a derogatory way? Do Detroit residents feel animosity or annoyance toward the yuppies?

There's no wrong answer, I'm just looking for how people feel to get an understanding of the term and how people are using it.

Just to make another point, Dallas is a great example of a city that saw an urban renaissance despite a moribund downtown. The city was able to build a new, expensive urban neighborhood from scratch - Uptown. It's serviced by light rail and has urban retail that'd make Detroit boosters salivate. Most of the construction happened while Downtown Dallas was stuck in the doldrums, and even now downtown has a ways to go before you could truly call it vibrant.

Indy's downtown was the result of some unprecedented investments that could only happen by the city being both the capital and the state's biggest city. Indiana U and Purdue U combined existing schools in Indy to form one large university, IUPUI. Politicians got developers to build a mall downtown when a new mall was still a big deal. Indy's entertainment districts got a big development boost from the Super Bowl. Indy has a lot of pull in its state, whereas Detroit is like a pariah.

If you ask me, it's way more realistic to concentrate development efforts into Midtown/New Center, Corktown, West Village/Indian Village, and etc. I think you could accomplish more a lot faster. I'm all for a vibrant downtown, but it's really not priority #1. The Renaissance Center, the stadiums, the parks... we've seen all this investment downtown with minimal to no returns in surrounding neighborhoods.

Corktown is better now that it doesn't have a ballpark. Go figure.