Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

Does anyone know who funds the thousands of man-hours that DPD spends as crossing guards for events downtown? During yesterdays joke of a parade they had officers at every side street along Woodward to make sure it was closed. It appeared that it was two officers per car, per street [[on each side of the intersection) for about 5-6 hours.

Who foots the bill for this. Is this DPD pulling officers off real patrols to ensure that Tigers fans know to cross on red?

Yes, this is at the city's cost only.

The new DPD employment ordinance which just came out of Council allowing officers to work security on the side in uniform is supposed to deal with this. It would charge companies an hourly rate for 'renting' the police officers on their own time. Supposed to be a win-win - officer get more $$, neighborhood gets more police coverage, businesses more safety.

Something tells me Ilitch will somehow work a deal where he does not pay for the dozens of officers required at Tigers/Wings games, etc. Some cities do this already, others do not.

Quote Originally Posted by spiritofdetroit View Post

The new DPD employment ordinance which just came out of Council allowing officers to work security on the side in uniform is supposed to deal with this. It would charge companies an hourly rate for 'renting' the police officers on their own time. Supposed to be a win-win - officer get more $$, neighborhood gets more police coverage, businesses more safety.

Something tells me Ilitch will somehow work a deal where he does not pay for the dozens of officers required at Tigers/Wings games, etc. Some cities do this already, others do not.
    Oh, yes. The officer works all night patrolling your neighborhood for extra pay, then pulls his cruiser in behind the doughnut shop to sleep during the day on the public's dime.

DetroitPole Guest

Quote Originally Posted by spiritofdetroit View Post

Thanks for bringing this point up. Here is a problem I have not adequately seen addressed yet, however: City Council has also pitched this plan to neighborhoods. I.e., neighborhood associations can hire these cops as well. However, these associations get donations from their residents, and, well, now I have to pay a cop to patrol my neighborhood, in addition to my astronomical taxes?!?! I thought that's what my taxes were for!!!

Oh, wait, my taxes went to the pay raises for the city council aids. I have a better idea: fire every other person in the CAYMC and hire cops with the money you save on personnel costs. I bet I won't notice a reduction in general services.

Quote Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
    Does anyone know who funds the thousands of man-hours that DPD spends as crossing guards for events downtown? During yesterdays joke of a parade they had officers at every side street along Woodward to make sure it was closed. It appeared that it was two officers per car, per street [[on each side of the intersection) for about 5-6 hours.

Who foots the bill for this. Is this DPD pulling officers off real patrols to ensure that Tigers fans know to cross on red?
    A lot of the officers that work these events are volunteer Detroit Police Reservist