Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

Hey Django, thanks for being you and caring for these folks on the street.
    Last edited by RickBeall; January-02-11 at 07:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RickBeall View Post
    Yeah, I'll second that.

Quote Originally Posted by RickBeall View Post
    Django caring is touching but misguided. He is not helping he is enabling. Addicts cannot be helped until they decide to help themselves which only happens when they reach rock bottom. Unfortunately they often die before that happens.

As for the rights of squatters they are pretty slim. The squatter must have been occupying the building or using the property for an extended period of time. It varies from state to state [[in Ontario it is 20 years) so probably a long time in the US as well. Also, the owner must be aware that the property is being used and does nothing to prevent such use for an extended uninterupted period of time. So if the time limit is 20 years and the owner tells the squatter to leave after 15 but the squatter returns the following month the required time period starts all over again at that time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adverse_possession
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squatte...tes_of_America

Quick question to add, If the house in question was secured. Wouldn't the persons living in it then be considered breaking and entering?

citylover Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Relayer76 View Post
    Django caring is touching but misguided. He is not helping he is enabling. Addicts cannot be helped until they decide to help themselves which only happens when they reach rock bottom. Unfortunately they often die before that happens.

As for the rights of squatters they are pretty slim. The squatter must have been occupying the building or using the property for an extended period of time. It varies from state to state [[in Ontario it is 20 years) so probably a long time in the US as well. Also, the owner must be aware that the property is being used and does nothing to prevent such use for an extended uninterupted period of time. So if the time limit is 20 years and the owner tells the squatter to leave after 15 but the squatter returns the following month the required time period starts all over again at that time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adverse_possession
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squatte...tes_of_America

Absolutely right about the addict relayer....but the wiki link does not really address mich law.I am not saying squatters should be allowed to squat I am saying the landowner will best cover their behind by going thru a legal eviction.Btw evictions happen all the time and they don't take much time.Once a party is served with a 30 day notice and their are no legal hitches it is fairly straightforward they either leave or their belongings are placed curbside while the sheriff's dept stands by to ensure civility is maintained.

I was just informed by my wife that based upon what she knows, If One Eye and her kids did not enter a secured house, Then they have squatters rights and should be treated as such.

Quote Originally Posted by reddog289 View Post
    I was just informed by my wife that based upon what she knows, If One Eye and her kids did not enter a secured house, Then they have squatters rights and should be treated as such.
    Squatters rights only apply after an extended period of time. I think these people are trespassers. Just because they moved their stuff into someone elses [[or a city owned) property does give them rights. Why should the owner have to go through the hassle of filing with the court and waiting 30 days. I'm all for rule of law but these are not people who were suckered in by disreputable mortgage scammers. As far as I'm concerned One Eye and the kids have the right not to be beaten up when they are removed from this property that's it.