Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Zozo View Post
    Yet, as we see by the creation of these memes, that's not good enough. The new Detroiters, regardless of their intentions, are just white, and for some people, that's just not ok.
    This is just bafflingly, mind-bendingly wrong. Read the memes. Look at who's circulating them [[hint: a whole lot of young white folks who recently moved to the city). Think! Use your head! Learn to distinguish nuanced critiques from torches and pitchforks.

Quote Originally Posted by antongast View Post
    This is just bafflingly, mind-bendingly wrong. Read the memes. Look at who's circulating them [[hint: a whole lot of young white folks who recently moved to the city). Think! Use your head! Learn to distinguish nuanced critiques from torches and pitchforks.
    Yeah, I got my thinking cap on. And I read the memes. I have no idea who is circulating them. Do you? I suppose any one could. I don't see why that is important. Nuanced? I don't think the "critiques" are that nuanced when they all rely on the same stereotype as a touchstone. A touchstone of class and race.

Yeah, I got my thinking cap on. And I read the memes. I have no idea who is circulating them. Do you? I suppose any one could. I don't see why that is important.
    Yes, anyone could, that's the point. People who choose to circulate them [[again, many of them young, white, and new-ish to the city) are doing so because the messages resonate with them. I know lots of people who are circulating them via Facebook and such. I've done it myself.
    Nuanced? I don't think the "critiques" are that nuanced when they all rely on the same stereotype as a touchstone. A touchstone of class and race.
    Is cluelessness a race or a class?

Quote Originally Posted by antongast View Post
    Is cluelessness a race or a class?
    "Cluelessness", or stupidity and unfamiliarity, which is what I think you mean, are big themes in those memes, which granted are very wide ranging. But the ignorance on display in those memes is not exclusive of race and class, they are all joined together in a very bold stereotype, which seems to get a pass around these parts.

"Cluelessness", or stupidity and unfamiliarity, which is what I think you mean, are big themes in those memes, which granted are very wide ranging. But the ignorance on display in those memes is not exclusive of race and class, they are all joined together in a very bold stereotype, which seems to get a pass around these parts.
    I meant "cluelessness." That's why I said "cluelessness."