Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Why? There's nothing's wrong with a peaceful protest.

In fact, every citizen has a right to do so on public property anywhere in the US.

Eleven police officers were shot at a similar rally just last night. While I agree that all Americans have the right to free speech and assembly. Do you really have to ask why a similar protest less than 24 hours later on a hot summer night, in the most violent city in America might be a bad idea?
    Last edited by Johnnny5; July-08-16 at 01:34 PM.

I agree with you, glad I am out of here at 5pm,

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post
    Eleven police officers were shot at a similar rally just last night. While I agree that all Americans have the right to free speech and assembly. Do you really have to ask why a similar protest less than 24 hours later on a hot summer night, in the most violent city in America might be a bad idea?
    ^^^^
    This , however citizens do have the right to do so on public property, however the city Detroit has a unique history with protest and as a "comeback city" with little civic unrest lately , I would hate for something negative to happen.
    Like it or not , we are perceived as a dangerous city to the rest of the US despite the rise in violence across the country.
    Even though, lately, several cities have become very violent.
    The rest of the country still see Detroit as " that dangerous city" despite the positive things that are happening.
    Detroit has to work twice as hard as other cities just to get a break.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitdave View Post
    ^^^^
    This , however citizens do have the right to do so on public property, however the city Detroit has a unique history with protest and as a "comeback city" with little civic unrest lately , I would hate for something negative to happen.
    Like it or not , we are perceived as a dangerous city to the rest of the US despite the rise in violence across the country.
    Even though, lately, several cities have become very violent.
    The rest of the country still see Detroit as " that dangerous city" despite the positive things that are happening.
    Detroit has to work twice as hard as other cities just to get a break.
    If something does happen, there goes the businesses back to the burbs
    Last edited by scooter; July-08-16 at 02:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post
    A crazed lone gunman shot eleven police officers. Did we cancel school across the nation after the last mass school shooting. The protest was peaceful until a man not affiliated with the protest did something barbaric. Try to understand the sequence of events before getting too paranoid and irrationally claiming that this will happen in Detroit because... Detroit. There have been other protests in the city without a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by southen View Post
    A crazed lone gunman shot eleven police officers. Did we cancel school across the nation after the last mass school shooting. The protest was peaceful until a man not affiliated with the protest did something barbaric. Try to understand the sequence of events before getting too paranoid and irrationally claiming that this will happen in Detroit because... Detroit. There have been other protests in the city without a problem.
    You beat me to it. Very well put.

Second that.

Let's not let our emotions and anxieties leave us blind here.

Besides, it should be noted that the protest in Dallas was peaceful, and it was even coordinated with help by the police [[maybe as a means to bridge relations with the community). Just because something fails the first time around, doesn't mean we develop a radically extreme reaction formation towards it and just scrub it.

Siding with you guys on this.

If you think a protest march is likely to become violent, you don't understand where most of the violence in Detroit stems from. Most of the non legally justifiable homicides in this city are around drug disputes, domestic violence, and highly escalated conflicts that erupt.

You know how to create highly escalating conflicts? Find someone who is angry and then tell them that they're not allowed to express their anger peacefully. Now you're asking for trouble.

More and more young people I know -- of all races -- are showing a receptivity to the Black Lives Matter movement, even some of my friends from the conservative west side of the state.

Now that doesn't mean that it's all Kumbaya out there. But when Newt Gingrich and Paul Ryan are coming out saying that they're changing their tune on race relations, there's clearly an inflection point taking place in the mass consciousness.

Here's an example that's starting go viral on LinkedIn

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/i-pul...oo-jeff-nelson

A few years ago, I was in business school in Chicago. During a group discussion on hiring practices I brought up the idea of bias and white privilege. After the discussion, my classmate came up to me and asked, ‘what is white privilege?’ I remember sharing my perspective on the numerous times throughout the past 24 hours where my race had given me undue advantages. We talked, we debated, and I moved on.
    But after this week, my answer is simpler. As a white heterosexual, Christian man in this country, my privilege means I live. And my wife and my children go to sleep each night knowing full well that my identity – my religion, my race, my gender, my sexual orientation - will never be the reason I die in this country. I received a speeding ticket and made it to the parade. And Philando Castile will be buried this weekend.

Now that doesn't mean that it's all Kumbaya out there. But when Newt Gingrich and Paul Ryan are coming out saying that they're changing their tune on race relations,

Most white Americans "don't understand being black in America" and the discrimination African Americans face, former House Speaker Newt Gingrich, said Friday.

...there's clearly an inflection point taking place in the mass consciousness.

Let the people be heard.

Quote Originally Posted by corktownyuppie View Post
    Siding with you guys on this.

If you think a protest march is likely to become violent, you don't understand where most of the violence in Detroit stems from. Most of the non legally justifiable homicides in this city are around drug disputes, domestic violence, and highly escalated conflicts that erupt.

You know how to create highly escalating conflicts? Find someone who is angry and then tell them that they're not allowed to express their anger peacefully. Now you're asking for trouble.
    CY, I think this is the first time that I'm disagreeing with you. It's entirely possible for a protest march to turn violent. Highly charged emotions combined with something that attracts some [[not all) fringe elements certainly has very real potential for trouble.

Yes, most [[2/3) of the violence in Detroit stems from drug activity, gang activity, and domestic violence. However, a sizeable portion [[1/3) does not...

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/c...t-hard-numbers

"A crazed, lone gunman shot eleven police officers" -- no -- would have been better put as KILLED 5.

Of course a protest against the murders of innocent civilians is legal, but its offensive. However after a gunman followed the instructions of many of the chants of BLM, its in pretty bad taste.

BLM has raised a valid point, but is failing to win over the public by its bad manners. A wise protest movement would combine its advocacy with some praise for the efforts of law enforcement.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    "A crazed, lone gunman shot eleven police officers" -- no -- would have been better put as KILLED 5.

Of course a protest against the murders of innocent civilians is legal, but its offensive. However after a gunman followed the instructions of many of the chants of BLM, its in pretty bad taste.

BLM has raised a valid point, but is failing to win over the public by its bad manners. A wise protest movement would combine its advocacy with some praise for the efforts of law enforcement.
    I get the feeling that you don't actually understand BLM. If they are protesting the murder of innocent civilians [[which is some how offensive?!?!) by the hands of police officers, why would they then praise law enforcement when they feel the issues are systemic?

Quote Originally Posted by southen View Post
    I get the feeling that you don't actually understand BLM. If they are protesting the murder of innocent civilians [[which is some how offensive?!?!) by the hands of police officers, why would they then praise law enforcement when they feel the issues are systemic?
    Offensive was a typing mistake. The protests are not offensive -- they are appropriate and reasonable.

Why would they praise law enforcement? Because they work hard each and every day working to contain crime, which causes perhaps 1,000 times more pain, misery, and harm to innocent civilians than 'police murder'.

One can agree with protests about cops who murder and also believe that the senseless deaths of 5 cops by a misguided follower can and should be condemned. Its possible as well to recognize how much progress has been made by our police departments to control rogue officers, while still believing we have a problem with murderous cops.

Five dead cops can be honored without undermining the protests. That BLM didn't scream out loud "we abhor violence against cops in any form whatsoever" speaks volumes to me. If you really want the public to buy-into continued efforts to reign in bad cops, you should also be willing to respect the dead of any color.

Offensive was a typing mistake. The protests are not offensive -- they are appropriate and reasonable.

Why would they praise law enforcement? Because they work hard each and every day working to contain crime, which causes perhaps 1,000 times more pain, misery, and harm to innocent civilians than 'police murder'.

One can agree with protests about cops who murder and also believe that the senseless deaths of 5 cops by a misguided follower can and should be condemned. Its possible as well to recognize how much progress has been made by our police departments to control rogue officers, while still believing we have a problem with murderous cops.

Five dead cops can be honored without undermining the protests. That BLM didn't scream out loud "we abhor violence against cops in any form whatsoever" speaks volumes to me. If you really want the public to buy-into continued efforts to reign in bad cops, you should also be willing to respect the dead of any color.
    It speaks volumes to a lot of us that so few police departments even admit that there MIGHT be a problem with excessive force.

What are you looking for here? There isn't an established figurehead/leader of the BLM movement to stand up in front of the cameras and tell the world how the BLM movement feels about every specific event and aspect of the issue.

BLM doesn't abhor cops, or promote violence against cops. BLM simply demands accountability, equality, and just treatment from the cops, which is something that we should all agree on.