Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

"5.2 Students who violate this policy will be subject to the Student Code of Conduct, as well as warnings and ticketing by WSU Police."

Smoking was banned by law in restaurants and bars in MI. That is obviously enforceable. This smoking ban is per the university's new rule. I am just curious, would a violator actually be legally obligated to pay the fine if ticketed?

Quote Originally Posted by Armin View Post
    "5.2 Students who violate this policy will be subject to the Student Code of Conduct, as well as warnings and ticketing by WSU Police."

Smoking was banned by law in restaurants and bars in MI. That is obviously enforceable. This smoking ban is per the university's new rule. I am just curious, would a violator actually be legally obligated to pay the fine if ticketed?
    I also wonder if this could even apply to a non-student at all. To me it seems the most they would be able to do to a non-student is trespass them.

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    I also wonder if this could even apply to a non-student at all. To me it seems the most they would be able to do to a non-student is trespass them.
    Does this call into question the authority of the WSU Police?

I'm not certain, but what can be done if you smoke in City Hall, or some other public building?

Quote Originally Posted by noise View Post
    Does this call into question the authority of the WSU Police?

I'm not certain, but what can be done if you smoke in City Hall, or some other public building?
    No, it calls into question the ability of WSU to make laws that people can be arrested for.

Any business can ban smoking, both before and after the ban, with the recourse of not complying being a trespass.

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    No, it calls into question the ability of WSU to make laws that people can be arrested for.

Any business can ban smoking, both before and after the ban, with the recourse of not complying being a trespass.
    I'm not sure arresting anyone is the plan. A ticket seems more likely.

Is a trespass effective enough?

Quote Originally Posted by noise View Post
    I'm not sure arresting anyone is the plan. A ticket seems more likely.

Is a trespass effective enough?
    You're correct about ticket vs. arrest.

A trespass would only be effective if the cops have a person that persistently breaks this law rule and they recognize them as someone they've trespassed.

Disclaimer: I'm not a law expert.

Got to admit I was surprised by the response to this thread. When I saw the initial number of replies [[so far), I was quite sure it was from a number of pro-smoking types. Quite to the contrary.

Detroit has come a long way since the '90s. We used to have Camel representatives canvasing the whole Cass Corridor/Wayne State area from Alvins, to Zoot's, to the Majestic [[remember when the Gold Dollar had American Spirits in the vending machine?-y'know..,because "there better for you"-then say what?...not smoking at all?!) giving away free packs to every resident and C.C.S. student they could find. I used to firmly believe Detroit was a "F*ck You-I smoke" type of town.

Personally I don't miss the stuff [[my kidneys couldn't handle the crud). Yet, it makes me wonder
    if they will teach this famous poem: http://www.poetryfoundation.org/poem/171767