Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Courtesy of an unmentionable site:

Quote Originally Posted by Det_ard View Post

Here's to your 'hard time believing this story,' Wintersmommy

The story still sounds incomplete though. What led up to this? What did the driver and other passengers do? Where the police involved? What route was it on?

I was robbed on buses a few times back in the "bad ol' days" of the '70s, and I got into some some pretty good scraps too, so I have a lot of sympathy for the guy involved here. I can certainly understand why he, and his friends, would be upset and angry and I hope he recovers well. But still, It'd be nice to know a little more context about what happened here before we decide the sky is falling.

Quote Originally Posted by Alley
    be much more cautious, if you HAVE to ride the bus, because incidents are happening more frequently
    Is there any actual evidence for this other than this one incident and your feeling?

No need to jump all over your fellow posters either, Wintersmommy was only exercising some sensible and understandable skepticism about a breathless report, with a dead facebook link, about getting e-mails from someone who it sounded like had just had some serious head surgery. Calling her "ignorant and insensitive" is really uncalled for.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    The story still sounds incomplete though. What led up to this? What did the driver and other passengers do? Where the police involved? What route was it on?

I was robbed on buses a few times back in the "bad ol' days" of the '70s, and I got into some some pretty good scraps too, so I have a lot of sympathy for the guy involved here. I can certainly understand why he, and his friends, would be upset and angry and I hope he recovers well. But still, It'd be nice to know a little more context about what happened here before we decide the sky is falling.

Is there any actual evidence for this other than this one incident and your feeling?

No need to jump all over your fellow posters either, Wintersmommy was only exercising some sensible and understandable skepticism about a breathless report, with a dead facebook link, about getting e-mails from someone who it sounded like had just had some serious head surgery. Calling her "ignorant and insensitive" is really uncalled for.
    You didn't notice others managed to work with that link? You didn't notice I mentioned witnessing incidents on the bus more frequently recently?
    2 of the 3 times I rode the bus in the past month:
    1. I was on the #31 and a group of girls started yelling "Hey [girl] hey [girl], I'm going to take that bitches shoes." She ignored them, never even looked in their direction, and they [[along with one boy) jumped on her. The police were called.
    2. I was on the John R bus and a lady boarded, started a very aggressive verbal fight with the driver, threatening that she was going to 'cut up' the driver, a passenger near me, and myself [[I did nothing!). The bus was pulled over and everyone had to get off, until the police arrived.
    Let's not forget when a DDOT driver was stabbed by a passenger in May
    http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/news...man-with-knife

I'm not looking to argue, I'm looking to tell you that there definitely ARE reasons you may want to reconsider riding the bus
    Last edited by Alley; July-15-10 at 03:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alley View Post
    You didn't notice others managed to work with that link?
    No, I noticed that when I clicked on the link you posted I got a Facebook error message reading "The page you requested was not found" As I assume Wintersmommy did. I just went back and clicked on it again and got the same.

You didn't notice I mentioned witnessing incidents on the bus more frequently recently?
    Yes, but I was looking for something a little harder than anecdotal evidence to back up your assertion that the buses were becoming more dangerous. Outside of the horrifying beating your friend received, which would give anyone pause, most of the rest of what you describe sounds pretty much like the kind of stuff I saw pretty often as a frequent bus rider back in the '70s and '80s.

These days the only buses I ever ride are the Jefferson between the Indian Village area and downtown, and the Woodward up to the Cultural Center, and while there are sometimes some odd or unhappy people on the bus, I really haven't felt even remotely threatened on those lines in years. It was my understanding that statistically crime has been level or dropping on Detroit transit since the bad times of the '80s, at least until recently.

I'm not looking to argue, I'm looking to tell you that there definitely ARE reasons you may want to reconsider riding the bus
    OK, warning taken.

I hope your friend recovers and gets better as soon as possible. I know from experience that sometimes the psychological scars of something like this are even worse than the physical ones - even in a terrible case like this - so I hope he is going to be able to avoid and/or deal productively with the dark shadows that can fall on someone after an event of this type.

Michigan Guest

I would just like to point out a few inconsistencies I've noticed.

1) When English claimed that she was almost robbed on the people mover, mind you nothing happened but she could read the young man's mind, everyone on this board believed her and sympsthized with her. Now, a poster reports direct first hand knowledge of an actual attack on public transportation and that account, a factual actual incident, is dismissed as at worst a lie and at best an exageration. Shoot, someone even inferred he may have deserved it.

2) During the great "White supremacist come to Detroit" debate several people made wild, hair brained accusations about the safety and crime levels of many Michigan cities. Just about the entire board agreed, and when one person challenged the claim a story was posted about a bar fight that involved bouncers and citiots. Not only did that thread remain in Detroit Issues even though it had transfigured into a discussion of other cities, but none of you apologists challenged that story of a smashed skull and severe beating.

Why do these inconsistencies occur? Is it racism? Northen bouncers = white so they must be criminals while Detroit victim = white so he must have deserved it?

Oh, and Dstylin, I would love to see you demonstrate your wicked Photoshop skills and produce a photoshopped picture of wounds as realistic and detailed as that. I for one think that you are full of BS, as usual.

Everybody claiming this didn't happen needs a reality check. One of my friends worked with this guy, and several other people here are telling you they know first hand this happened. Photoshop? Claiming he started the fight [[against 6 guys, really?), with no facts to back that up? You should be ashamed of yourselves.

Funny how some of you wail on about someone you never knew, even though his real friends are banned or their posts removed from a "memorial thread", yet other people you don't know who suffer a traumatic experience must be liars. Michigan's thread above is spot-on. Poor English, someone looked at her funny. Oh, some white kid from the Magic Stick was beaten to near death on a bus? He's probably lying, or it's his fault. You have pictures and know him first hand? Well, the pictures are probably fake, and you are probably lying too. Oh you aren't? Well, this stuff happens everywhere, so who cares. "Shit happens".

And you tell yourselves this is the "mature" forum. Wow.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post

You know...you sound like you need to not be so judgemental and doubtful to something you know nothing about! You think she could answer all those questions? Of course not! Then act like it's wrong for someone to feel a little offended by the nature of the people here? Your coming off a little uncaring....but hey thats you. Some of us here have compassion. I on other hand have mixed feelings with this situation because I grew up in Detroit and watched it slowly be poisoned by an underdevoloped goverment and a society with a look the other way attitude towards there community. I do not understand how the story was not covered by the media..but if it was it would be the last thing Detroit needs on it hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Det_ard View Post

Damn! I get a headache just looking at that. That's horrible. :-[[

I think I'd be avoiding the busses too, if something like that happened to me or someone close to me. He's lucky to be alive.

FWIW, I couldn't open the OP's link either.

Quote Originally Posted by Thames View Post
    FWIW, I couldn't open the OP's link either.
    I couldn't open the link. I don't have a Facebook account. Could that be why?

Does anyone who can't open the link have a Facebook account? Does anyone who can open the link not have a Facebook account?

Horrible incident. Sorry for the momentary threadjack. This Facebook link is just gnawing at my craw. Sincerely.

Bearinabox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    I couldn't open the link. I don't have a Facebook account. Could that be why?

Does anyone who can't open the link have a Facebook account? Does anyone who can open the link not have a Facebook account?

Horrible incident. Sorry for the momentary threadjack. This Facebook link is just gnawing at my craw. Sincerely.
    I have a facebook account. The link took me to the guy's profile, but I didn't see any pictures like the one posted in this thread, or anything talking about this incident. My guess is that those things are on a privacy setting that excludes me.

And yeah, this thread really does belong in Discuss Detroit, IMO.
    Last edited by Bearinabox; July-16-10 at 01:19 AM.

Wow.... 2 threads gone horribly bad in 3 days [[Ford racism rant being the other)....

They both got put over here for likely the same reasons.... 1) a lack of verifiability [[and for non-Facebook members... readability/viewability), and 2) name calling gone amuck...

Alley, I do believe you mean well in reporting this story... and I don't doubt that this story could be true... but it becomes difficult to separate the truth from fiction on Facebook... just as it does on blogs [[and 2nd hand accounts from strangers whom you buy a used car from).

Interpolation... all I can say is "buh-bye"....

Michigan... you're acting BADLY[[and tempting fate) by calling the Forum Admin a "ritard"....

Anyone with at least 50 posts and some common sense knows the rules about name calling...
    Last edited by Gistok; July-16-10 at 02:14 AM.

What is with all the name calling?

LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Wow.... 2 threads gone horribly bad in 3 days [[Ford racism rant being the other)....

They both got put over here for likely the same reasons.... 1) a lack of verifiability [[and for non-Facebook members... readability/viewability), and 2) name calling gone amuck...

Alley, I do believe you mean well in reporting this story... and I don't doubt that this story could be true... but it becomes difficult to separate the truth from fiction on Facebook... just as it does on blogs [[and 2nd hand accounts from strangers whom you buy a used car from).

Interpolation... all I can say is "buh-bye"....

Michigan... you're acting BADLY[[and tempting fate) by calling the Forum Admin a "ritard"....

Anyone with at least 50 posts and some common sense knows the rules about name calling...
    I'm calling bullshit on this one G-Man. I've read some pretty speculative threads on the Discuss Detroit page. Lowell, do the right thing, return this thread to where it rightfully should be!

Quote Originally Posted by LodgeDodger View Post
    I'm calling bullshit on this one G-Man. I've read some pretty speculative threads on the Discuss Detroit page. Lowell, do the right thing, return this thread to where it rightfully should be!
    Whatever.... But this thread is staying put....

Bearinabox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    "Ritard" is a notation often found in sheet music, derived from the Italian "ritardando." It tells the performer to gradually slow down, and should not be confused with the similar-sounding English word often used as an insult. Now, perhaps Michigan was being slightly overzealous in his effort to show off his extensive knowledge of Italian musical notations, but I wouldn't say he's acting "badly." Us musicians gotta stick together, yanno.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearinabox View Post
    "Ritard" is a notation often found in sheet music, derived from the Italian "ritardando." It tells the performer to gradually slow down, and should not be confused with the similar-sounding English word often used as an insult. Now, perhaps Michigan was being slightly overzealous in his effort to show off his extensive knowledge of Italian musical notations, but I wouldn't say he's acting "badly." Us musicians gotta stick together, yanno.
    Then perhaps he should have tried it PIANISSIMO.....