Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

So much for a new day. Five of nine incumbents finish in the top nine. Considering three weren't running anymore, this is not the outcome that presents a new day. Well, there's still the November election.

OK, so it may not be a "new day" exactly, but still, a little historical perspective please. 5 incumbents in the top 9 is a historically low number, and an incumbent [[Martha Reeves) being eliminated in the primary is pretty much unheard of. Tinsley-Talabi could certainly still be picked off, since she finished just a very few votes ahead of Rev. Spivey, and it's not wholly impossible that JoAnn Watson could still be beaten as well. That would leave Ken Cockrel, Jones, and Kenyatta from the previous group, all of whom I personally would want back. And if Pugh is indeed the top vote-getter in the general election it will be the first time I can ever remember [[and my memory goes back into the mid-'60s) someone from outside the previous Council winning the presidency.

Stosh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    OK, so it may not be a "new day" exactly, but still, a little historical perspective please. 5 incumbents in the top 9 is a historically low number, and an incumbent [[Martha Reeves) being eliminated in the primary is pretty much unheard of. Tinsley-Talabi could certainly still be picked off, since she finished just a very few votes ahead of Rev. Spivey, and it's not wholly impossible that JoAnn Watson could still be beaten as well. That would leave Ken Cockrel, Jones, and Kenyatta from the previous group, all of whom I personally would want back. And if Pugh is indeed the top vote-getter in the general election it will be the first time I can ever remember [[and my memory goes back into the mid-'60s) someone from outside the previous Council winning the presidency.
    It's an oportunity for those newcomers at the front of the pack with a realistic chance of winning. Picking off the low hanging fruit of the incumbents should be a shared priority, with targeted mailings and media ads.

Quote Originally Posted by royce View Post
    So much for a new day. Five of nine incumbents finish in the top nine. Considering three weren't running anymore, this is not the outcome that presents a new day. Well, there's still the November election.
    Did you really expect nine new members of Council? This city need a council with experience. True a few of the members were airheads but they are going away.

I suspect that Cockrel, Watson, Kenyatta and Jones will get reelected. Tinsley-Talabi is on the bubble. She has been there for a long time but she has been exposed as inept and if I'm one of the 13 possible newcomers, I'm ripping her apart to ensure that I get her seat.