Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Thread: Downtown Rents

Hybrid View

We already have seen "more construction" over the last few years with projects on the way. Broderick, The Auburn and other in Midtown. Then you have David Whitney and Forest Arms on the way, among others that haven't seen the work quite yet [[like those in Capitol Park). I'm not sure we'll see significant increase in projects in the downtown area, it's already growing at a decent pace and an increase may not be economical to developers.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    I'm not sure we'll see significant increase in projects in the downtown area, it's already growing at a decent pace and an increase may not be economical to developers.
    It may not be all that good for Detroit either, if some of these folks move to the suburbs, as has been mentioned in the link...

Maybe Mayor Duggan will get behind the 8 ball and try to grow the number of "liveable" areas around the city center...

As soon as rents are high enough to pay for new development, the problem will solve itself, as there is no shortage of available land. That is when you will probably see Brush Park rapidly refill. The problem occurs because at the current time, rising rents are making subsidized development, of which there is a limited supply, more profitable, but yet not making unsubsidized development possible, so the rising rents aren't generating more housing supply.

Until that happens, the only thing you can do is what Gistok suggested, which is to try to encourage the overflow into some of the immediately adjacent areas, unfortunately a lot of those either don't have a much housing or are cut off by freeways or other barriers. Maybe the overflow could start heading toward Virginia Park or Mexicantown, or over toward Lafayette Park?

Don't forget the North End, mwilbert. That's where I'm at now. I work in Midtown, but wouldn't be able to afford to live there. No need to put soar in quotes for this working stiff. This ain't Frisco.

Most of the Lafeyette Park area is Co-Ops, so rents don't matter. We are a quiet area with nice parks, access to freeways, shopping is not far and at most...Safe as any Suburb.

Quote Originally Posted by Chinman View Post
    ...Safe as any Suburb.
    Not quite.

show me your proof of lack of safety in Lafayette Park area. I have lived here since 2007. no problems. Are you one of those that says on the news " nothing ever happens like that in my neighborhood" as channel 4 is in Novi?

Quote Originally Posted by Chinman View Post
    show me your proof of lack of safety in Lafayette Park area. I have lived here since 2007. no problems. Are you one of those that says on the news " nothing ever happens like that in my neighborhood" as channel 4 is in Novi?
    While there have been shootings and robberies in the area, statistically speaking, Lafayette Park Neighborhood is safer than 93% of the rest of Detroit.

http://www.areavibes.com/detroit-mi/...te+park/crime/

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Not quite.
    Not to sidetrack, but in regards to Lafayette Park being a good area for renters/ buyers. I have been in Lafayette Park since 1990 for all except three years..[[2002-2005) Its quite good, ofcourse ,there have been some car thefts, some breakins,, and a couple of shootings over the years , but there arent very many urban neighborhoods in any large midwest city that cant chime in the same fashion, It is part of urban living and you had better get used to that. I have personally never had one incident,, and in good weather I run almost daily around downtown and the riverfront and generally walk a 4 mile walk through greektown, to woodward, up to grand circus, down broadway and back to Lafayette Park daily on almost every day of the year to keep fit,, Never have had a issue yet since 1990 other than people wanting money. I certainly wouldnt say Lafayette Park is dangerous,, but always keep my eyes open. You do see some sketchy individuals from time to time. Overall, it is a great neighborhood. The amount of amenities for entertainement, eating, culture and sports within walking distance is very impressive. I do not, and have never gone in areas of Detroit that are considered dangerous unless my car is locked and Im inside. Detroit is a large city, theres lots of areas, especially downtown and midtown that are pretty good. . With all the amenities now, my trips across 8 mile are fewer and I dont miss it by any means. Ofcourse anymore I am careful in Royal Oak and Ferndale when I do visit. I have friends living there that have also had been victims of crimes there, although the murder rate is lower that the city overall ofcourse. Sadly this is our way of life.
    Last edited by DetBill; January-27-14 at 11:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DetBill View Post
    Not to sidetrack, but in regards to Lafayette Park being a good area for renters/ buyers. I have been in Lafayette Park since 1990 for all except three years..[[2002-2005)...
    Curious. What are your paying for rent, if you're renting? Total and per sq.ft? How much are you paying a month for auto/renters insurance? Do you use your Detroit address for auto insurance?