Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by wolverine View Post
    I really don't understand why this is necessary. Just put up with the traffic jams like the rest of the world.
    because traffic jams = economic inefficiency

countless millions, if not billions of dollars are lost in wasted time and fuel sitting in traffic. The efficient movement of people and goods is an economic generator in and of itself. If one region or country can move people and goods faster and cheaper then they have a competitive advantage over other locales. Part of the economic boom that occurred in this country post WWII was in part to the massive investment that was made in our transportation system via the Interstate Highway system.

Now I don't exactly think that the continued solution is to "build our way out" of congestion through highway expansion alone. In fact a comprehensive transportation solution is required. However, the fact of the matter remains that any investment in our transportation network is paid back and some in increased economic activity and efficiency.

Quote Originally Posted by EL Jimbo View Post

countless millions, if not billions of dollars are lost in wasted time and fuel sitting in traffic. The efficient movement of people and goods is an economic generator in and of itself. If one region or country can move people and goods faster and cheaper then they have a competitive advantage over other locales. Part of the economic boom that occurred in this country post WWII was in part to the massive investment that was made in our transportation system via the Interstate Highway system.

Now I don't exactly think that the continued solution is to "build our way out" of congestion through highway expansion alone. In fact a comprehensive transportation solution is required. However, the fact of the matter remains that any investment in our transportation network is paid back and some in increased economic activity and efficiency.
    I take it you've never been to Atlanta or Los Angeles.

Quote Originally Posted by ghettopalmetto View Post
    I take it you've never been to Atlanta or Los Angeles.
    Never been to LA but I've been through Atlanta many times. I know that both cities have lots of traffic and congestion because of their very active local economies. I also know that both cities are not standing pat because "congestion is good". Both cities have invested heavily in improving both the capacity and choices of transportation in the area. through freeway expansion and widening, creation of HOV/HOT lanes, and improvements in mass transit. They realize that if they wish to continue their growth, they must provide the infrastructure to support it.
    Last edited by EL Jimbo; April-07-10 at 06:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by EL Jimbo View Post

Incorrect. Congestion is a sign of economic vitality. It's a myth that traffic congestion creates economic loss.....a scapegoat because lost hours is something easily measurable. But you can't measure habit. You modify a commute in any way and people [[or movement off goods) will schedule accordingly Not to mention many congestion incidents are a result of disabled vehicles or accidents, which in our current time there is no solutions too. And you can't create efficiency by continuing to add lanes. Have you considered induced demand, triple convergence? C'mon man are you just going to look at things from the surface or dig a bit deeper into the problem.
    Last edited by wolverine; April-07-10 at 12:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wolverine View Post
    Incorrect. Congestion is a sign of economic vitality. It's a myth that traffic congestion creates economic loss.....a scapegoat because lost hours is something easily measurable. But you can't measure habit. You modify a commute in any way and people [[or movement off goods) will schedule accordingly Not to mention many congestion incidents are a result of disabled vehicles or accidents, which in our current time there is no solutions too. And you can't create efficiency by continuing to add lanes. Have you considered induced demand, triple convergence? C'mon man are you just going to look at things from the surface or dig a bit deeper into the problem.
    I think you misunderstood what I was saying. I agree with you that congestion is a sign of economic vitality. It shows that there are a lot of people and goods being moved about. However, it is also a sign that economic growth has begun to exceed the capacity of the transportation system to support continued growth. By improving the efficiency of transportation to alleviate congestion, you open up opportunities for continued economic growth.

Whether it be the interstate highway system, the Panama Canal, the Transcontinental Railroad, or the roads of ancient Rome, for thousands of years nations have invested in improving transportation to reduce time and money spent moving goods and people for the sake of economic expansion. Otherwise, why invest in transportation at all? If congestion is desired, why invest in transportation at all?

Bottom line is that congestion is a only a sign of economic vitality and improving the transportation system is a creator of economic vitality. If the area you live in is congested it means it is nearing the limits of how much economic activity it can support. If you want further growth you must invest in increasing capacity.