Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

Now here's thought for the day for you! A British journalist and film maker called Jon Ronson has just written a book about psychopaths. His thesis is that many of the world's captains of industry, politicians and movie movers and shakers have psychopathic tendencies [[lack of empathy with others, self absorption, vaunting ambition). This, I can tell you, has been the opinion of people who work in psychiatric services for years, but it was interesting to see it out in the mainstream. Of course it's not always a negative thing as I believe that a lot of those who are driven by monomania can do a lot of good. Think of all the fab music, books and even medical cures that have been developed by the single minded and arrogant. It's when it comes to politics it gets weird. But I think you can see it. Our politicians will say anything we want before an election and then they forget that we exist. Psychopathy? Could be. Could very well be.

I'd LOVE to take his research to another level, too.

MY theory, from direct observation of CEOs and other execudroids in their native habitats, is that every corporation shows the EXACT personality of their leadership. Excrement runs downhill, they say, and if the person at the top is an asshole and a crook...the organization will show that same face at every level of public interaction, no matter how hard they try to reign it in.

BUT, if the person at the top is honest, generous, encouraging, etc.; then THAT is how the organization will act in the world.

I don't think EVERY corporation is evil, only that it is MUCH more likely than with individuals...because mere humans can make decisions in committee which they'd NEVER be able to justify personally. Especially if they are shielded from liability and responsibility.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Barbara Nadel View Post
    Now here's thought for the day for you! A British journalist and film maker called Jon Ronson has just written a book about psychopaths. His thesis is that many of the world's captains of industry, politicians and movie movers and shakers have psychopathic tendencies [[lack of empathy with others, self absorption, vaunting ambition)....
    I've seen this guy interviewed. He says that his own mental problem [[I think it was some kind of neurosis.) is the exact opposite of a psychopath. I.e. he's too concerned about what others think of him. Psychopaths have zero concern for others. He was very courageous to do this research. Interesting guy. Interesting subject.

THE PSYCHOPATH TEST by Jon Ronson

"The madness that makes the world go 'round."

Wowza, thanks for that link, Jimaz.

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    Wowza, thanks for that link, Jimaz.
    You're most welcome, John. Welcome home.