Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Half of the perimeter road that loops around Belle Isle has been closed all year long. About 3 weeks ago, the island significantly flooded due to a very intense rain event, the road between Lake Okonoka and the River was completely submerged. To get through the eastern end of the island, you have to take Central Avenue through the wooded area.

Quote Originally Posted by masterblaster View Post
    Half of the perimeter road that loops around Belle Isle has been closed all year long. About 3 weeks ago, the island significantly flooded due to a very intense rain event, the road between Lake Okonoka and the River was completely submerged. To get through the eastern end of the island, you have to take Central Avenue through the wooded area.

You don't think it had anything to do with the State opening the East end of the island and letting the river flow into it?

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    You don't think it had anything to do with the State opening the East end of the island and letting the river flow into it?
    That's definitely part of the current problem, but in their defense record high water levels weren't exactly a pressing issue when these changes were planned.

If this continues I wonder if it would be feasible [[And cost effective) to install a lock and pump system? Something that would allow the water to flow freely when levels are appropriate, but offer some flood control when they're not.
    Last edited by Johnnny5; June-08-20 at 12:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Johnny5 is correct. This May just past, Lakes St. Clair and Erie just set their record-high levels for May, dating back to 1918. These lakes control the level of Detroit River. I couple weeks ago, I was jogging through the woods on Belle Isle, and I flagged down a DNR truck. I asked him why 1/2 the trees were dead in the woods, and during our conversation he said they were going to build some kind of dam to regulate the flow from the Detroit river into Lake Okonoka.