Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    Just because they operate out of Bangalore, doesn't mean they're any less of a company. India is high-tech heaven.
    Totally agree but I worry that they see Detroit as a Bangalore of America in terms of shifting cheaper/commoditized work here and training lower skill workers and then paying them a low wage. I hope this isn't the case; we have the ability and resources here to attract the very best jobs and talent.
    Last edited by MotownSpartan; April-20-10 at 01:36 PM.

"Seemingly" good news. But i'd be willing to bet anyone in five years time there will not be 500 workers downtown working with this company. These job projections NEVER come to fruition.

Quote Originally Posted by Mind field View Post
    "Seemingly" good news. But i'd be willing to bet anyone in five years time there will not be 500 workers downtown working with this company. These job projections NEVER come to fruition.
    There was an article in the Detroit News or Crain's back in the 90's about that very thing. That only approximately 40% of estimated jobs ever materialize when these announcements are made.

Still, even if this company only brings 100-200 jobs here that's good news. Particularly considering they are technology related jobs, not automotive jobs - which are the types of jobs Michigan is going to need to attract to diversify the economy here.

Quote Originally Posted by kryptonite View Post
    There was an article in the Detroit News or Crain's back in the 90's about that very thing. That only approximately 40% of estimated jobs ever materialize when these announcements are made.

Still, even if this company only brings 100-200 jobs here that's good news. Particularly considering they are technology related jobs, not automotive jobs - which are the types of jobs Michigan is going to need to attract to diversify the economy here.
    I think 40% is generous--the actual numbers are much lower. I think a better long term plan is an overall competitive tax plan to attract jobs to MI.

Article Quote.... "The new jobs will pay $63,000 a year on average, Bryan said. Some positions require a college education, but the company is willing to train candidates familiar with software development, he added."

The article mentions "software development" jobs... so why are some of you even arguing over "call center" jobs?...

Quote Originally Posted by MotownSpartan View Post
    Totally agree but I worry that they see Detroit as a Bangalore of America in terms of shifting cheaper/commoditized work here and training lower skill workers and then paying them a low wage. I hope this isn't the case; we have the ability and resources here to attract the very best jobs and talent.
    I'm not so worried about that... I mean if they are shitty jobs with shitty pay, then either a) people won't take them because they can make more elsewhere and the company will fold or raise wages... or b) people will take the jobs because they have no other option, so thank god that shitty job is there because it's far better than no job