Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

"Rich people don't have the same barriers put up between them as working class people do."

I'm not commenting here on the topic directly, but I just wanted to comment that RICH PEOPLE WORK. The term "working class" is offensive because it lumps any person who might develope a dollop of sweat, regardless of education, ambition, intelligence, or anything else into the same group. I am by no stretch rich, and would be considered "working class," but I know it is wrong to divide people that way. We're individuals with our own problem, talents, and outlooks on life. No one is in need of anyone looking out for their "class." This is not colonial India for God's sake. We don't have castes!

Sorry for the rant, but I think it is belittling to use the term working class. Also, in my opinion, it creates the idea that there is "another side" that you must oppose and can't join. MOST rich people, didn't start that way. I hope to be rich one day, and you can bet your ass I will still be "working" for it.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyinBrooklyn View Post
    "Rich people don't have the same barriers put up between them as working class people do."

I'm not commenting here on the topic directly, but I just wanted to comment that RICH PEOPLE WORK. The term "working class" is offensive because it lumps any person who might develope a dollop of sweat, regardless of education, ambition, intelligence, or anything else into the same group. I am by no stretch rich, and would be considered "working class," but I know it is wrong to divide people that way. We're individuals with our own problem, talents, and outlooks on life. No one is in need of anyone looking out for their "class." This is not colonial India for God's sake. We don't have castes!

Sorry for the rant, but I think it is belittling to use the term working class. Also, in my opinion, it creates the idea that there is "another side" that you must oppose and can't join. MOST rich people, didn't start that way. I hope to be rich one day, and you can bet your ass I will still be "working" for it.
    The working class lives by selling its labor or starves.

The rich don't have to work. Many rich people don't work, and live on inheritances, trust funds or other mechanisms.

Now, that isn't to say that all rich people are parasites. Many are. Many profit from the misery of others [[their "work"). But there are some rich folks who are actually contributing to society. Mostly, they have to be forced to do that by the people through their government.

DetroitNerd: What planet are you from? Have you ever met a successful small business owner? My last boss owns three restaurants- very successful restaurants- in New York. She started as a hostess when she was 13. She did every job in the place through her teens. She scrounged to open her first place. She had 2 failures before having a hit. She now is finally worth quite a bit of money, and she still works 60+ hours a week. She washed dishes on the fourth of July when the dishwasher didn't show up. She is a hero and someone I want to emulate. She employs 250 people. If you are reliable and good at your job, she pays you well. And all management was promoted up from lower jobs. Because they worked hard! They lazy stay where they are. Let me tell you: THERE ARE A LOT MORE OF HER THAN THERE ARE FORD HEIRESSES. She isn't working class: she works with class. You don't attack your way to prosperity. You earn it.

Yawn its also economically stratified. Rich people don't have the same barriers put up between them as working class people do. Divide and conquer thats how you stay in control.
    If you think that UDHS lacks working class kids, I think you are mistaken. If you think it is part of a plot to control the lower classes, I think you are very mistaken.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyinBrooklyn View Post
    DetroitNerd: What planet are you from? Have you ever met a successful small business owner? My last boss owns three restaurants- very successful restaurants- in New York. She started as a hostess when she was 13. She did every job in the place through her teens. She scrounged to open her first place. She had 2 failures before having a hit. She now is finally worth quite a bit of money, and she still works 60+ hours a week. She washed dishes on the fourth of July when the dishwasher didn't show up. She is a hero and someone I want to emulate. She employs 250 people. If you are reliable and good at your job, she pays you well. And all management was promoted up from lower jobs. Because they worked hard! They lazy stay where they are. Let me tell you: THERE ARE A LOT MORE OF HER THAN THERE ARE FORD HEIRESSES. She isn't working class: she works with class. You don't attack your way to prosperity. You earn it.
    You admit friend isn't rich, just "worth quite a bit of money." The "elite" are rich. You know: the top .01 percent. Just because there are a lot more hard-working people than the elite doesn't matter. That's the whole point. That's what makes the elite the elite.

Anyway, look who's making generalizations, hmmm?

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    You admit friend isn't rich, just "worth quite a bit of money." The "elite" are rich. You know: the top .01 percent. Just because there are a lot more hard-working people than the elite doesn't matter. That's the whole point. That's what makes the elite the elite.

Anyway, look who's making generalizations, hmmm?

I would aree. Someone who starts working at 13 is definitely working class.

I don't quite understand the anti-elitist mentality in Detroit. If anything, we need more elitists, not fewer. We should be thankful that there is an institution that brings the elite into the city, gives them an emotional connection to the city, gives them a reason to invest in the city, build their businesses in the city, employee people in the city, re-develop buildings in the city...

Considering that most of colleagues see me as far to the left, given my industry, I'm shocked that how frequently Detroiters I encounter see me as part of the problem instead of part of the solution.

"Rich people are taking the city back" "White people are taking over"

Seriously?

Quote Originally Posted by corktownyuppie View Post
    I don't quite understand the anti-elitist mentality in Detroit. If anything, we need more elitists, not fewer. We should be thankful that there is an institution that brings the elite into the city, gives them an emotional connection to the city, gives them a reason to invest in the city, build their businesses in the city, employee people in the city, re-develop buildings in the city...

Considering that most of colleagues see me as far to the left, given my industry, I'm shocked that how frequently Detroiters I encounter see me as part of the problem instead of part of the solution.

"Rich people are taking the city back" "White people are taking over"

Seriously?
    I'm not sure if this helps shed any light on the topic, but I am familiar with inner-city residents' suspicion of proposed improvements. For a long time, this has played out as fights against large projects, industrial expansions, freeway-building and eminent domain. In that sense, Detroiters do have a long history of fighting to hold onto their property in the face of large governmental and industrial players. But it's hard to stack that up against what you're saying, because, compared to that legacy, the small amounts of gentrification in the city are small potatoes. When they're gentrifying Hamilton Avenue, then we can talk about white moneyed people changing the face of the city, right?

Many profit from the misery of others [[their "work"). But there are some rich folks who are actually contributing to society. Mostly, they have to be forced to do that by the people through their government.
    Wow. You're kidding, right? Most rich people I know are the hardest working people I've ever met. Sure there are some exceptions, but they are exceptions, not the rule.

The working class lives by selling its labor or starves.

The rich don't have to work. Many rich people don't work, and live on inheritances, trust funds or other mechanisms.

Now, that isn't to say that all rich people are parasites. Many are. Many profit from the misery of others [[their "work"). But there are some rich folks who are actually contributing to society. Mostly, they have to be forced to do that by the people through their government.
    Dude, you've got some serious issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Det_ard View Post
    Dude, you've got some serious issues.
    Dude, you don't have a point.