Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by brizee View Post
    I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that's horseshit.

Yeah it's anecdotal but...

1. Entry level engineers in this areas are being fed a line. I can speak from personal experience.

2. I once worked in the placement office for an educational institution. We placed manufacturing engineers, machinists and IT entry level. Even then we had managers doing tv interviews stating they had so many jobs they couldn't fill. The number of students/former students we had coming by begging to sniff a chance at a job...

Media outlets should be ashamed of running this stuff.
    I tend to agree with you.

For example, try applying for a job at fast food restaurant and see if someone calls you back to hire you. It seems to be something unique to Michigan establishments to try and operate efficiently with skeletons crews, which is why the fast food restaurants around here aren't very fast...

And if you do land a job, prepare for the sticker shock when you see how ridiculously low your pay will be. I saw a posting yesterday where someone wanted to hire an experienced Personal Assistant for only $11/hr. I also saw another ad where someone wanted to hire an Attorney for only $55K...
    Last edited by 313WX; September-13-14 at 01:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    I tend to agree with you.

For example, try applying for a job at fast food restaurant and see if someone calls you back to hire you. It seems to be something unique to Michigan establishments to try and operate efficiently with skeletons crews, which is why the fast food restaurants around here aren't very fast...

And if you do land a job, prepare for the sticker shock when you see how ridiculously low your pay will be. I saw a posting yesterday where someone wanted to hire an experienced Personal Assistant for only $11/hr. I also saw another ad where someone wanted to hire an Attorney for only $55K...
    I don't know. I went to a few fast food joints [[and other retail establishments) this summer that were full of new hires. None of the employees knew what they were doing especially when it came to customers who were regulars. Having more workers doesn't improve service if all of those workers are still in training. I actually had to wait longer with all the new hires they had than with the experienced skeleton crews they usually have.