Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by bartock View Post
    Malik Shabazz wants a race war. That's kind of my first issue with him.

...and this stuff:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...B5qapcVUVqmh3Q
    I watched it. While I think he might be accused of being Anti-Semitic, I did not see a rabid hate-monger calling for a race war. I heard him call for black unity and self-help. I also heard him express concern about what he perceives [[right or wrong) as an increased hatred of blacks by groups like the Tea Party.

I heard him intimate that African-Americans should be prepared to defend themselves from any attacks that are a result of that hate. I think this is in line with what members of the NRA say about their right to bear arms, isn't it?

I did hear him talk about African-Americans having a nation of their own. Now I wish the interviewer had followed up and asked what he meant? If he's talking about snatching a portion of America to make that separate nation, then I have a big problem with him. Otherwise, he's just another person with his own opinions and views and if he uses his energy trying to defend people he feels are being oppressed that's his right, as long as he doesn't use or promote violence to do so.

The reality is that when people feel oppressed and disenfranchised, they are looking for someone to come along and offer them help, plead their cause, give them a means to make their plight known and find some remedy or relief. If no mainstream person helps them, then a non-mainstream entity will likely be more than happy to. The Cobo authority pretty much said, "We love Centerplate. They are the saviors of Cobo food concessions. Sorry, we can't help you." So, the Simons are right for allowing the community to see if their voices can make a difference. That's the American way after all.
    Last edited by Locke09; June-08-11 at 01:59 PM. Reason: misplaced word

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Locke09 View Post
    I watched it. While I think he might be accused of being Anti-Semitic, I did not see a rabid hate-monger calling for a race war. I heard him call for black unity and self-help. I also heard him express concern about what he perceives [[right or wrong) as an increased hatred of blacks by groups like the Tea Party.

I heard him intimate that African-Americans should be prepared to defend themselves from any attacks that are a result of that hate. I think this is in line with what members of the NRA say about their right to bear arms, isn't it?

I did hear him talk about African-Americans having a nation of their own. Now I wish the interviewer had followed up and asked what he meant? If he's talking about snatching a portion of America to make that separate nation, then I have a big problem with him. Otherwise, he's just another person with his own opinions and views and if he uses his energy trying to defend people he feels are being oppressed that's his right, as long as he doesn't use or promote violence to do so.

The reality is that when people feel oppressed and disenfranchised, they are looking for someone to come along and offer them help, plead their cause, give them a means to make their plight known and find some remedy or relief. If no mainstream person helps them, then a non-mainstream entity will likely be more than happy to. The Cobo authority pretty much said, "We love Centerplate. They are the saviors of Cobo food concessions. Sorry, we can't help you." So, the Simons are right for allowing the community to see if their voices can make a difference. That's the American way after all.
    I don't have any problems with what you say, but I do think it is much different than the NRA with respect to their right to bear arms. It is being discussed in a racial context.

There is a lot about Malik Shabazz out there, and maybe his stance has mellowed somewhat over the last couple of years, though I'd question the motivation on that. I was too lazy to look for it, but an article in the Metro Times from a few years ago was a bit more "militant", but with the same sort of "qualification" about trying to protect African-Americans. It is very similar to the KKK and other hate groups when they try to justify their philosophy.

Also, his defense of Kwame was and is...well, sort of indefensible, in my opinion.