Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Spending all this money on a new arena, when our roads are the worst in the country.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    Spending all this money on a new arena, when our roads are the worst in the country.
    Roads are the worst in the country, public transit "system" is the worst in the country, and your state's largest city just went through the largest municipal bankruptcy in the nation's history.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    Roads are the worst in the country, public transit "system" is the worst in the country, and your state's largest city just went through the largest municipal bankruptcy in the nation's history.
    Hard for me to get too worked up about the connection between these realities and the use of state bonds to finance an arena [[and, despite all of my concerns, it's still more than just an arena).

Much easier for me to get worked up when I consider these realities against the heinous I-94 expansion proposal.

Iheartthed, there are two issues here. One, obviously, preservation. Two, as to all of the already-empty land, will we skimp on the structured/underground parking such that all of the empty land remains empty and used for the least constructive purpose: gameday surface parking? Seperate debates but both certainly go to the issue of whether we are laying the igredients for an actual 'district' or just acceding to Olympia's latest bait-and-switch.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    And none of the money being spent on the arena could be used for any of that, since it is DDA money that has to be spent within DDA boundaries.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_the_man View Post
    And none of the money being spent on the arena could be used for any of that, since it is DDA money that has to be spent within DDA boundaries.
    The people who decided to give Ilitch the money to use for this arena are the decision makers for public works projects.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_the_man View Post
    Yeah....just shows where the city and state's priorities are. I get that private money and bonds are being used for the arena, but should we be subjugated to more tax increases to fix the roads? I mean you have to try to dodge the potholes to get to the game don't you?
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; March-26-15 at 12:00 PM.

Sounds like Olympia made their presentation, proposing to tear down Hotel Park Ave. and then took off without any public commentary.