Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
I don't see why Detroit can't also be a tourist destination. It has a strong history and cultural legacy that makes it ripe for tourism if it could be coordinated well. Add to that the city is located smack dab in the middle of two high volume tourism cities, Chicago and Toronto. Plus a Detroit tourism boost could be a big boon for the northern Michigan tourism industry.
The problem is that Detroit is not a pass-through city unless you're going to or from Canada. The rest of America has to effectively make a special trip to Detroit, by going north to enter the peninsula.

There isn't really the infrastructure for tourism, either. You absolutely must rent a car to get around here. I've never been to a city where you couldn't get off at the airport and hop on a train or bus, for very little cost and just as little figuring, and get to the city center. This includes foreign countries where I had little knowledge of the language. Yet in my home city I sure as hell couldn't tell you how to get downtown from the airport other than a damned Metro Car or a bus that barely ever runs.

Detroit is nice if you happen to be here, or want to travel the whole US I think it is an essential stop, but certainly not a destination in itself. Yeah we have some really nice stuff, but so do other cities. We're not the only city in the US with a major art museum.