Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Biggest issue there is the Riverfront Apartments/Condos next to the Joe Louis Arena. These were built during a time when gated communities were all the rage. The fact that it is not integrated well into its surroundings support that.
    I doubt, although hopefully I'm wrong, that people who signed up for a gated off world will allow the Riverwalk to extend through their property. So I fear you are right with this Planner.

Now I wonder if there's any chance what so ever that the Riverwalk extends farther west to the Ambassador Bridge and to the parks on the other side of it. I know that the railroad has tracks in place there that are still in use. Plus, you know, that whole Matty M guys bridge thing is in the way and I hardly doubt he's let the city use that land without some sort of kickback. Who knows though.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    I doubt, although hopefully I'm wrong, that people who signed up for a gated off world will allow the Riverwalk to extend through their property. So I fear you are right with this Planner.

Now I wonder if there's any chance what so ever that the Riverwalk extends farther west to the Ambassador Bridge and to the parks on the other side of it. I know that the railroad has tracks in place there that are still in use. Plus, you know, that whole Matty M guys bridge thing is in the way and I hardly doubt he's let the city use that land without some sort of kickback. Who knows though.
    There is room around it though. It is not the sexiest part of the project. Definitely has a Logan's Run sort of appearance [[Brutalist Architecture, ramps, bridges, not very inspiring).
    https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3250..._9DRCtDFTQ!2e0

Matty owns less land down there than he wants you to believe.

The waterfront will be unrecognizable by 2020, in a good way, assuming the economy stays stabil. From bridge to bridge it will be an incredible space to walk, ride, play...

People say that, but color me skeptical. To me, all the RiverWalk has going for it 99% of the time is the view of Canada. Otherwise, it's lifeless, anti-urban stretch of concrete and grass fields. Eventually, I'm sure some of the land will be developed into modern "urban" loft, but I'm skeptical how big of a market there is for modern
    pseudo-urban loft. The only selling point for those developments, generally, is the proximity to historic neighborhoods that are actually interesting.

Modern society just isn't up to the task of building good urban environments. That's why preservation is vitally important and historic NYC neighborhoods command insane prices. It provides an urban living style today's architects and planners patently refuse to give us. Of course, they blame the banks for only handing out loans to suburban-style projects that give precedence to the needs of cars. Personally, I think the architects don't put up enough of a fight.