Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

If you have a high school education, and can work at a Wendy's [[for instance), you can get a decent job that will bring you about as much cash as you would get on welfare. As stated earlier, they are able to keep food stamps and medicaid for a time. If you show up for work on time and do your job well at Wendy's [[or any other fast food place), you can move up the ladder rather quickly into a managerial position. Store managers make great money, get good benefits and even education allowances.

The major problem tends to be getting babysitters and finding transportation. If there is family to babysit and a ride, this works out well for some. A family member of mine began at Wendy's as a teenager and by 25 or so was a store manager making $25K a year with full medical benefits. It is a demanding and sometimes stressful job, but it can be done if you are willing to work at it.

Problem is...most of their new hirees didn't have reliable transportation, never showed up for work on time, didn't want to do the "menial" tasks like mopping the floor, didn't take direction well, or stole from the store by taking food out of the freezer or handing food out the take out windows to their friends and family.

I know there aren't a lot of high paying jobs out there, but there ARE jobs that pay more than cash welfare benefits. The problem is you have to get out of the house and go FIND them. You have to arrange for sitters and find the right bus to get you there. Sometimes that's too much effort.

I agree that for the professionals who have lost their job after many year of dedicated work, it is difficult to find work in their specific professions, or jobs that pay anywhere near what they used to make. Those are the people I feel most sorry for.

There are services out there...and training...if people want it. But you have to WANT it. They will not come and find those who could use it. People have to seek it out.

My son lost a good paying job a while back. He was able to apply for funds and go to college while he collected his unemployment. He got his associates in Criminal Justice. He now got student loans to get his bachelor's degree, which will be done in a year or so. Did he struggle for the last few years, YES, but in the end he will be back in the work force with a great job.

There is a new culinary school in Roseville, there is Baker College, Davenport and many others where people can learn a trade in a short period of time. It's all about what you WANT. Do you want to stay home and collect welfare until it runs out, or do you want to do something with your life?

I am all for helping the needy. Welfare is a necessary thing. But it was not meant to be a lifetime benefit. It was meant to help people get on their feet and then move into the workforce. I am glad they are now going to enforce the limit for the cash payments. Leave the food stamps and stuff until gainful employment is found and families can sustain themselves, and then take those away too.

But another problem is enforcement...not enough people checking to see who is working and still collecting...or living with someone who works and still collecting...or listing children they don't have...etc. etc. etc. I feel that if they hired some of the unemployed as investigators and found a lot of the cheaters, they would save more money than they will kicking of those who need it badly.

IMHO :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Blueidone View Post
    If you have a high school education, and can work at a Wendy's [[for instance), you can get a decent job that will bring you about as much cash as you would get on welfare.
    [[Very good post)

But there's the problem. Some people are motivated to get a job and get into the workforce.

However, other folks will see that they are no better off working. Working 40 hours gets them in the same place as they were when they didn't try.

Thus, reform is the only way.

Personally, I would rather see it eliminated. Your family should be your support structure, not your government.

DetroitPole Guest

Quote Originally Posted by 48091 View Post
    [[Very good post)

But there's the problem. Some people are motivated to get a job and get into the workforce.

However, other folks will see that they are no better off working. Working 40 hours gets them in the same place as they were when they didn't try.

Thus, reform is the only way.

Personally, I would rather see it eliminated. Your family should be your support structure, not your government.
    What if you don't have a family? What if your family is just as bad/worse off than you? What if your family is depending on YOU? What if your family is the negative influence you are trying to rise above?

A lot of questions that you don't seem to have encountered on your journey but millions of people are facing. People do not come from the same [[apparently) fortunate circumstances that you did, which you do not seem to understand.

Most of my family is dead. I'll see if I can hang out on their plots if I fall upon hard times. Thanks for the advice.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPole View Post
    What if you don't have a family? What if your family is just as bad/worse off than you? What if your family is depending on YOU? What if your family is the negative influence you are trying to rise above?
    Then approach a charity.

Let's let charities give out charity.

Giving people money doesn't help them. Charities don't give out money, they give food, clothing, and in some cases provide shelter.

Why?

Because when you give poor people money they convert it into lottery tickets, alcohol and cigarettes.

How about a compromise: You can't be on welfare for more then 12 months in a row or a combined total of 12 months during the last 10 years. If you hit either condition you're cut off.

Some of you hosers just won't be happy until the New Deal is fully repealed and we are living in the 19th century again. I so wish you would all move to Guatemala right now and enjoy the paradise you'd have our children live in -- all by yourselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Some of you hosers just won't be happy until the New Deal is fully repealed and we are living in the 19th century again. I so wish you would all move to Guatemala right now and enjoy the paradise you'd have our children live in -- all by yourselves.
    funny when it was Granholms administration these limits were seen as responsible reforms....but now that it's Snyder its all about hating the poor/class warfare. the irony....it burns.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    funny when it was Granholms administration these limits were seen as responsible reforms....but now that it's Snyder its all about hating the poor/class warfare. the irony....it burns.
    I can't stand people who figger, well, if you disagree with me, then you're just from the other party, so I'll start talking about what I perceive to be your party and then -- hahahaha -- I got you!

Sorry, bailey. I am an independent voter, and was no fan of Granholm.

Aww, too bad. Now you have to talk about the actual issues instead of snickering on one side of the aisle or the other.

Partisan loyalty promotes those kinds of 'gyrations' where you give a PASS to your party for doing the same thing you'd be against if it's your opponents policy! People are waking up to the fact that Dems and Repubs are but two sides of the same coin in many ways...
    Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post

Quote Originally Posted by 48091 View Post
    Then approach a charity.

Let's let charities give out charity.

Giving people money doesn't help them. Charities don't give out money, they give food, clothing, and in some cases provide shelter.

Why?

Because when you give poor people money they convert it into lottery tickets, alcohol and cigarettes.

How about a compromise: You can't be on welfare for more then 12 months in a row or a combined total of 12 months during the last 10 years. If you hit either condition you're cut off.
    "Ebenezer: Are there no prisons?
    First Collector: Plenty of prisons.
    Ebenezer: And the union workhouses - are they still in operation?
    First Collector: They are. I wish I could say they were not.
    Ebenezer: Oh, from what you said at first I was afraid that something had happened to stop them in their useful course. I'm very glad to hear it.
    First Collector: I don't think you quite understand us, sir. A few of us are endeavoring to buy the poor some meat and drink, and means of warmth.
    Ebenezer: Why? "

Indeed the fraud factor and lack of verification has accelerated these cuts! It was coming and for those who think the 'big-bad-wolf' in this is exclusive to Snyder, recall that Clinton signed in the fore-running welfare reforms initiative back during his presidency!

Yep, welfare was not to be a lifetime thing... And IRONICALLY it takes you just far enough to be more impoverished in later life... Talk to anyone who works in older adult services. Their case loads are full of such stories!!!

Many single woman now in their 50's, some having never worked, children now 'grown', no skills - and no more welfare proceeds for children.

That's a bad place to be, as the END of Welfare is the result, without a governors signature!! Democrat or Repub...

Quote Originally Posted by Blueidone View Post
    I am all for helping the needy. Welfare is a necessary thing. But it was not meant to be a lifetime benefit. It was meant to help people get on their feet and then move into the workforce. I am glad they are now going to enforce the limit for the cash payments. Leave the food stamps and stuff until gainful employment is found and families can sustain themselves, and then take those away too.

But another problem is enforcement...
    not enough people checking to see who is working and still collecting...or living with someone who works and still collecting...or listing children they don't have...etc. etc. etc. I feel that if they hired some of the unemployed as investigators and found a lot of the cheaters, they would save more money than they will kicking of those who need it badly.

IMHO :-)
    Last edited by Zacha341; September-07-11 at 09:15 PM.