Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    So what do we have here? Supposedly, Moroun Enterprises is setting up a 500,000 sq. ft. logistics warehouse, where he stands to make millions, maybe billions. He is going to set this up in a "tax free" zone, which leads me to believe, he will be paying no taxes. According to the article, he will be offering 150 jobs to "Detroiters" @ $10.50 an hour, which comes out to $3,276,000 per year. In the COD, you pay 1.5% if you work here, and another 1.5% if you live here. So, under the best possible case scenario, the COD stands to make about $100,000 a year in tax revenue off of this project. Not too shabby. Now, if only someone can tell me he was given the land to set up his logistics company, well that would really be a win-win for the City.
    Considering paying 450 million for the same amount of part time jobs one would hope the land was gifted.

The sad part is IKEA stopped selling warehouse in a box because of liability issues.

So then it would take ....

Engineering company to do the design,they pay city taxes.
    Land is cleared but the foundations have to be dug etc. that company pays city taxes.
    Permits and inspections equals city revenue.
    Concrete company and their workers pay city taxes.
    Construction workers to build the building pay taxes.
    The materials have to come from someone that is paying taxes.
    Electricians pay city taxes.
    Plumbers pay city taxes.
    Landscapers pay city taxes.
    HAVC company pays city taxes.

All of those companies employ workers that pay city taxes so it is a few more days of employment anyways,and maybe they will get hungry and visit a local eatery.

That is just based on the initial construction.

It would probably take days of mathematical calculations which are way beyond my scope anyways to really get down to if this is a win or loss for the city.

But given recent discussions at the very least it becomes a company that can employ those that do not have a masters degree and maybe provide them with something of a job that maybe better then none.If one person applies and receives a job there that maybe would out of desperation choose another not so nice nice way to make a living,then it would be a win for the city.

Whether he makes millions or billions is really pointless,he is taking the risk and is entitled to his return just as anybody else would be.

So the question is what warehouse is already under construction out there?

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Considering paying 450 million for the same amount of part time jobs one would hope the land was gifted.

The sad part is IKEA stopped selling warehouse in a box because of liability issues.

So then it would take ....

Engineering company to do the design,they pay city taxes.
    Land is cleared but the foundations have to be dug etc. that company pays city taxes.
    Permits and inspections equals city revenue.
    Concrete company and their workers pay city taxes.
    Construction workers to build the building pay taxes.
    The materials have to come from someone that is paying taxes.
    Electricians pay city taxes.
    Plumbers pay city taxes.
    Landscapers pay city taxes.
    HAVC company pays city taxes.

All of those companies employ workers that pay city taxes so it is a few more days of employment anyways,and maybe they will get hungry and visit a local eatery.

That is just based on the initial construction.

It would probably take days of mathematical calculations which are way beyond my scope anyways to really get down to if this is a win or loss for the city.

But given recent discussions at the very least it becomes a company that can employ those that do not have a masters degree and maybe provide them with something of a job that maybe better then none.If one person applies and receives a job there that maybe would out of desperation choose another not so nice nice way to make a living,then it would be a win for the city.

Whether he makes millions or billions is really pointless,he is taking the risk and is entitled to his return just as anybody else would be.

So the question is what warehouse is already under construction out there?
    I'm not sure IF the warehouse is under construction, or where this I-94 Industrial Park really is. [[Yes, I did read you other post) You are right, all those contractors would have to buy City construction licenses, and the workers would have to pay, @ least, 1.5% City taxes, while under construction. And when the initial hoopla is over, then what? back to $100,000 K a year, plus water usage. Whether he makes millions or billions IS the point. Why are guys like Moroun, Penske, and Illitch allowed to skate, or worse yet, getting subsidized, with taxpayer money? Why am I continually paying? It would be a different story if the final outcome would really be beneficial for the City. So far it doesn't look that way to me.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; August-19-15 at 10:52 AM.

I'm not sure IF the warehouse is under construction, or where this I-94 Industrial Park really is.
    Name:  TaxFreeZone.PNG
Views: 678
Size:  92.5 KB
    Name:  TaxFree2.jpg
Views: 653
Size:  56.1 KB

A very old neighborhood used to be here. You can still see the block curbs and the brick inside the open manholes if you go to look before they are removed.

Not to be a downer, but this is also where they found the bodies of that young couple who went missing back in 2012. They found the bodies of those 2 Westland boys a few blocks east of there too.

Ive done a bunch of work in this area, have been watching it change for at least 20 years.

http://detroit1701.org/I-94%20Industrial%20Park.html

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...e-time-is-past
    Last edited by detroitsgwenivere; August-19-15 at 11:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by detroitsgwenivere View Post
    Name:  TaxFreeZone.PNG
Views: 678
Size:  92.5 KB
    Name:  TaxFree2.jpg
Views: 653
Size:  56.1 KB

A very old neighborhood used to be here. You can still see the block curbs and the brick inside the open manholes if you go to look before they are removed.

Not to be a downer, but this is also where they found the bodies of that young couple who went missing back in 2012. They found the bodies of those 2 Westland boys a few blocks east of there too.

Ive done a bunch of work in this area, have been watching it change for at least 20 years.

http://detroit1701.org/I-94%20Industrial%20Park.html

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...e-time-is-past
    Thanx for the visual. You're quite the illustrator, have ever thought of a career change? I remember both of those episodes. Greenies in the wrong place doing the wrong thing. [[NOT that their untimely end justified their actions)
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; August-19-15 at 12:15 PM.

Thanx for the visual. You're quite the illustrator, have ever thought of a career change?
    That pen is harder to control than it looks