Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    Yes, please!
    "I personally won't ride it" doesn't mean there isn't demand.
    Right, but the fact that there's no congestion between Detroit and Toledo, and no appreciable commuting patterns, does mean there's no demand.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Right, but the fact that there's no congestion between Detroit and Toledo, and no appreciable commuting patterns, does mean there's no demand.
    I know quite a few people that live in\near Toledo and work in Downtown Detroit. They complain of congestion a lot.

I wouldn't say there's "no demand". It's worth looking into doing a study to see if the demand is there.

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    I know quite a few people that live in\near Toledo and work in Downtown Detroit. They complain of congestion a lot.

I wouldn't say there's "no demand". It's worth looking into doing a study to see if the demand is there.
    Agreed. And don't forget the folks from that area who fly out of DTW.

Uhhh no, demand doesn't only occur because of congestion. Demand also comes from the ability to have choices. And when there's only one choice because this backasswards state refuses to leave the 1950s, the demand is muted and therefore people like you like to claim "there is no demand" because we aren't given choices. Having the choice between driving and taking a train in which both will get me there on time, connects to where I want to go, and are both similar in cost, I will always take a train. But because MDOT refuses to promote and invest in transit infrastructure, we're SOL.

This what I mean when I say people in SE Michigan are brainwashed. It's so infuriating to see how complicit we are to settle for basically a C- standard of living.

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    Uhhh no, demand doesn't only occur because of congestion.
    Actually, no. Relative transit usage is almost entirely a function of congestion, and has almost nothing to do with "transit choices". Given there is no congestion in this directional, transit makes little sense.

Moreover, commuter rail is overwhelmingly a white collar professional-oriented service, and that's the least professional-oriented corridor radiating out from Detroit. It's essentially the worst corridor possible [[and I'm not sure even the best, the Grand Trunk Line, makes any sense, given it shut down for lack of ridership when Detroit had far more jobs than today).

There was no demand for the automobile or houses in the burbs until it was created,I think adding transportation options is a good idea that would benefit both cities.

Rail is the most cost effective per mile way to move people and let’s them enjoy the scenery along the way.