Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

The bottom line is all of these companies are taking a chance, their names are out there and with the current business , very few companies are willing to take the risk .
    The only way Detroit's center will grow is when successful local and national businesses and companies take a chance and say , "ok it's time to take a chance on Detroit".
    Once they see other companies willing to moving in and are becoming successful they will move in)

My feeling exactly. Whatever it takes to move Detroit forward after so many years of blight I'm good.

I think that Somerset doing their quarterly store means that they're looking at Detroit and telling their merchants the prospects for opening stores downtown.

Quote Originally Posted by Strong View Post
    The bottom line is all of these companies are taking a chance, their names are out there and with the current business , very few companies are willing to take the risk .
    The only way Detroit's center will grow is when successful local and national businesses and companies take a chance and say , "ok it's time to take a chance on Detroit".
    Once they see other companies willing to moving in and are becoming successful they will move in)

My feeling exactly. Whatever it takes to move Detroit forward after so many years of blight I'm good.

I think that Somerset doing their quarterly store means that they're looking at Detroit and telling their merchants the prospects for opening stores downtown.
    National chain merchants don't take chances. They sit and watch a market for years and wait until their potential [[locally-owned) competition are successful before they move into an area. The only "chance" the chains take is making sure the demographic and income models match their criteria.

As for all that "success" that chains bring?

Numerous studies have concluded that buying local vis-a-vis chains keeps more dollars in the local economy, generates extra economic activity, and supports more jobs--with spending no additional money. Take, for one example, a study conducted by the Maine Center for Economic Policy, which found:

The study found that every $100 spent at locally owned businesses contributes an additional $58 to the local economy compared to $33 when the same amount is spent at national chains.

http://www.pressherald.com/news/Busi...ates-jobs.html

In Cumberland County, Maine [[pop. 282,000), a 10 percent shift in spending from national chain to locally-owned translates into an extra $127 million in economic activity, and 874 additional jobs.

Last I checked, Detroit needs economic activity and jobs.