Quote Originally Posted by belleislerunner View Post
Quitters are always going to make excuses.

Some people are optimists/realists and fight to make things better even if they're the last home standing on a block.

Others are fair weather fans looking to "turn a profit" after a few years and when things get tough, throw in the towel and bail.

Adversity reveals your true character. Or lack thereof.

I beg to differ. Everyone who quit or quits on Detroit are not necessarily quitters, they may just be regular people who made hard choices. My husband & i lived in an nice appt off W Outer Drive. Chose to by a nice brick home off East outer drive, near Polish Century club in about 88. Had a child. All was well, for about 5 years, but suddenly overnite, we were broken into twice and had swastikas painted on our garage, along with digusting messages. A week later, broken into again when my 85 year old defenseless mother was there alone. We were gone in less than a week. Police too overworked or didnt care. My family had to be safe. No, we didnt turn a profit of any sort and to put salt on the wound, my daughter moved back here a year later and decided they would move in the house. A few weeks after moving in, she was broken into and came home from work to find all of the Christmas presents under the tree gone......all of her underwear pulled out from drawers and draped on the tree, along other things too disgusting to talk about. Even free rent from mom and dad couldn't keep her there after that.

Point being everyone who has left detroit arent quitters. After 5 great years there, suddenly my race and my husband's religion became an issue with someone. We had a family to raise and two elderly moms to care for. We could no longer do it in Detroit. I hope that things are going to get better in Detroit, and in Wayne County overall, so when we retire in a few years we can go home again be Proud Detroit Residents, and no longer live close by but not in the city.

sorry to be so verbose, but this is a touchy subject here.

Lily