Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

But institutions and organizations that receive federal funding are not all nuetral in terms of where they derive their values, ways of doing business, policies etc. are they? As I mentioned the government now wants to dictate how many Christian and Catholic institutions conduct their business or which kinds of services they wish to opt out of.

Interestingly secularism always seems a great idea as it comes off as allowing everyone greater freedom and access, except to those who have a moral issue with those areas of freedom and access such as the case with abortion for example and the church. The tolerance and freedom constriction seems to 'emerge' at that point.
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettopalmetto View Post
    I'm pretty certain the First Amendment to the Constitution established a secular government. With that said, I disagree with the premise of the federal government forcing a religious organization to take action that directly conflicts with its established religious doctrine.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Interestingly secularism always seems a great idea as it comes off as allowing everyone greater freedom and access, except to those who have a moral issue with those areas of freedom and access such as the case with abortion for example and the church. The tolerance and freedom constriction seems to 'emerge' at that point.
    As soon as someone forces you to have an abortion, I'll be empathetic to your point of view.

Sigh.... That's the usual response... almost boiler plate. Your not getting the larger point... how do organizations such as Catholic and other Christian institutions respond to increased edicts coming down federally...? Re-read my first paragraph:

'...institutions and organizations that receive federal funding are not all nuetral in terms of where they derive their values, ways of doing business, policies etc. are they? As I mentioned the government now wants to dictate how many Christian and Catholic institutions conduct their business or which kinds of services they wish to opt out of.'

More programs and institutions are come under more scrutiny and dictate:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/46274138.../#.TzE7R8hMeec

http://www.npr.org/2012/02/07/146511...-the-catholics

Quote Originally Posted by ghettopalmetto View Post
    As soon as someone forces you to have an abortion, I'll be empathetic to your point of view.
    Last edited by Zacha341; February-07-12 at 01:23 PM.