Quote Originally Posted by antongast View Post
I guess I'm confused because the title of the thread is "Unions Step Up to the Plate, Agree to Contribute to the Grand Bargain."

As far as I understand, the idea of union organizations paying into the grand bargain [[as distinct from the money being extracted from union members in the form of pension cuts, health care cuts, and annuity clawbacks) was nothing but an eleventh-hour asshole move by Jase Bolger in an effort to torpedo the deal and/or further seal the fate of organized labor in Michigan. It has nothing in particular to do with any of the issues you mentioned in this post.

It seems odd, if your interest is genuinely in making the city work better and not just in destroying unions for the sheer hell of it, that this move would be something you would celebrate.
AG, why are you so bitter?

Union contributions are nothing new. NYC's deal was sealed by union contributions. And it makes sense. Everyone who is involved in this should contribute. Everyone involved will benefit from a healthy city. Unions can be part of the solution. Why not?

Believe it or not, people do things -- and they aren't all union bashing. Don't be paranoid. Sometimes its not all about union bashing ... but just about pulling together during a crisis.

Maybe you're right. This guy has it out for unions. So what. As long as his idea has merit, let it go.