Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

I live on West Willis in Midtown, and when I stay in my little Midtown/New Center bubble, I can sometimes get pretty optimistic about Detroit. But just walk a little south and it all pops like a balloon. The south part of the Cass Corridor is like the night of the living dead, derelict buildings and drug addicts. I walk through it frequently, and nothing sobers up my opinion of Detroit faster.

You'd think with assets like Cass Tech, the Masonic Temple, and the only real park in the area within walking distance, there'd be a little life. Instead it's a big tombstone for urban Detroit. As much as I think stadiums are a waste, Illitch's new coliseum might be worth a shot, because I don't what the hell else you can do.

Quote Originally Posted by nain rouge View Post
    I live on West Willis in Midtown, and when I stay in my little Midtown/New Center bubble, I can sometimes get pretty optimistic about Detroit. But just walk a little south and it all pops like a balloon. The south part of the Cass Corridor is like the night of the living dead, derelict buildings and drug addicts. I walk through it frequently, and nothing sobers up my opinion of Detroit faster.

You'd think with assets like Cass Tech, the Masonic Temple, and the only real park in the area within walking distance, there'd be a little life. Instead it's a big tombstone for urban Detroit. As much as I think stadiums are a waste, Illitch's new coliseum might be worth a shot, because I don't what the hell else you can do.
    That's a shame. After all of these years, it seems that always there will be an area-- even though smaller than it was, 40 years ago-- between WSU, and downtown, where the fetid elements of the old "Cass Corridor" live on.
    But, be positive. Maybe, sometime soon, it will get squeezed to the point where it finally pops and the downtown glitz will successfully meet, and connect to, the midtown hipsterdome.
    That would be a Good Thing.

I know it was that way when I was at Cass in the 80's. I grow up very fast my freshman year

Quote Originally Posted by toddperk View Post
    I know it was that way when I was at Cass in the 80's. I grow up very fast my freshman year
    Exactly, and it hasn't changed since then. We coexisted just fine in the 80s with the pimps, hustlers, and druggies. There were way more characters hanging around back then.