Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

You seem to be opposed to the cuts that have to be made.

The state's job isn't to make rainbows and sunshine happen everyday, the state steps in to balance the budget, typically by making massive cuts.

If these cities and school districts want to have the services and wasteful spending at their current levels maintained, they need to raise taxes.

Simple principle here: Balance your budget on your own, or have the state do it for you.

Want local control? Want to have lots of expensive services? Then simply balance your budget and pay for it.

Quote Originally Posted by 48091 View Post
    You seem to be opposed to the cuts that have to be made.

The state's job isn't to make rainbows and sunshine happen everyday, the state steps in to balance the budget, typically by making massive cuts.

If these cities and school districts want to have the services and wasteful spending at their current levels maintained, they need to raise taxes.

Simple principle here: Balance your budget on your own, or have the state do it for you.

Want local control? Want to have lots of expensive services? Then simply balance your budget and pay for it.
    I dont know what I said to make it "seem" that I'm opposed to cuts, cause I'm not. I live in reality. I know that alot of things MUST change. However my ? was/is is Has the State shown that they can "help". Yes our clowncil and Mayor are not _______. But the State hasnt shown any of us that they are able to "help". I'm not opposed to making EVERY employee a contract employee and make them pay for their own health care etc. I'm not opposed to that @ all. I'm not opposed to alot of things that will help the city move forward. However I am opposed to loosing my democratic right to vote, or even my republican right to vote lol. I like Snyder to be honest, so far, so good. Except when it comes to State Takeovers. Like I said earlier I live in reality and know that nothing will fix Detroits problems overnight. The problem I see is a lack of vision, lack of inginuity. Detroiters scream all day and night about our assets but no one wants to make our "assets" generate us money or at least pay for themselves. Its no reason why Belle Isle is still free. Its no reason they havnt converted the City Airport into a drag strip on the weekends. No reason why a messed up burned out neighborhood shouldnt be converted to a paint ball warzone and call it urban warfare. No reason the empty parts of the river front be converted to a fair ground. etc. They need to start using our assets as what they are assets. Whats the point of having alot of "jewels" and not shining them up or @ least putting them on display. Make Money Detroit. get to making money. The Mayor nor CC has came up w/ ANYTHING to make money besides raising taxes, and longer meter hours. WTF. so frustrating.

Quote Originally Posted by 313hero View Post
    I dont know what I said to make it "seem" that I'm opposed to cuts, cause I'm not. I live in reality. I know that alot of things MUST change. However my ? was/is is Has the State shown that they can "help". Yes our clowncil and Mayor are not _______. But the State hasnt shown any of us that they are able to "help". I'm not opposed to making EVERY employee a contract employee and make them pay for their own health care etc. I'm not opposed to that @ all. I'm not opposed to alot of things that will help the city move forward. However I am opposed to loosing my democratic right to vote, or even my republican right to vote lol. I like Snyder to be honest, so far, so good. Except when it comes to State Takeovers. Like I said earlier I live in reality and know that nothing will fix Detroits problems overnight. The problem I see is a lack of vision, lack of inginuity. Detroiters scream all day and night about our assets but no one wants to make our "assets" generate us money or at least pay for themselves. Its no reason why Belle Isle is still free. Its no reason they havnt converted the City Airport into a drag strip on the weekends. No reason why a messed up burned out neighborhood shouldnt be converted to a paint ball warzone and call it urban warfare. No reason the empty parts of the river front be converted to a fair ground. etc. They need to start using our assets as what they are assets. Whats the point of having alot of "jewels" and not shining them up or @ least putting them on display. Make Money Detroit. get to making money. The Mayor nor CC has came up w/ ANYTHING to make money besides raising taxes, and longer meter hours. WTF. so frustrating.
    Well, I certainly agree with you here. You've proposed a lot of good ideas to generate revenue.

I still believe that the main issues are:

1) Too much infrastructure to maintain [[you still have to maintain blocks that only have one or two houses on them)
    2) Inefficient management of assets and lack of technology efficiency
    3) Union contracts that benefit the workers far more than they benefit the residents

I agree new revenues are great ideas. I'm for a blended approach to balancing the budget. However, I think it's need to be about an 85/15 blend, that is most of it being cuts.

The state is stepping in not because it wants to, but because it must. Detroit's elected officials have neglected their duties and the city is bankrupt.