Quote Originally Posted by Hamtragedy View Post
Edison Elementary was Happy Land in the 1970s. Home runs over the fence in right field at Ramsey Park were considered outs because there were two giant Great Danes back there. We learned how to poke hits to the opposite field.
Played a few pickup ballgames at Edison back in the early-mid 70s. I played on a parks and rec softball team one summer, must have been 69 or 70. We were from Cook Park [[Fenkell between St Marys and Prevost), I remember playing games at Edison, Burns Elementary [[a block or two east of Montgomery Wards) and Dossin. To be honest, I can't remember if it was a league, or just occasional games between kids from the neighborhood parks/schools, organized by the parks and rec folks. One thing I do remember for sure - playing on lots of gravel fields in those games. I sprained my ankle at Edison on their gravel field [[the one right next to the school) trying to run out a grounder while playing a pickup game when I was 14 or 15. Stepped the wrong way on one of those #$%! little rocks. There wasn't a whole lot of sliding going on in those games.

Went to kindergarten at Edison in 65-66 - St. Marys didn't have kindergarten classes back in those days. Had Mrs. Wasserman in the morning. I remember walking by the St. Marys bakery every morning and dying to go in there and get me a lunchstick.

Also, in 7th grade St. Marys had an intramural flag football league, and some of our games were over at Edison when they weren't at Cook Park. Great memories!