Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Well, the next time your wife/sister/girlfriend/mother is threatened with rape and murder, you make sure she's been instructed to hang around the place where she was attacked so that she can talk to the police. I'm sure they'd appreciate your concern.
    Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    I absolutely would have called the police at the first chance I got. We aren't even talking about her driving to Dearborn or Farmington Hills or some place where she doesn't have to pass through customs... She had to go into another country! She had to talk to customs agents, answer questions about citizenship and everything. In all that time she never thought to tell someone "hey, I was just robbed and almost got my head blown off!"

Frankly, after re-reading the story again it seems a bit sensationalized. Her fighter's instinct gave her the courage to question three men armed with guns, yet didn't give her the common sense to call the police?! I mean, that's at the most basic stage of how law enforcement works: call the police when you have been victimized so that the police can prevent the perp from victimizing others. It's one thing for her to have alerted the police and had them not respond accordingly. It's another to not alert the police at all so that they could most effectively perform their duty.

ferntruth Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Well, the next time your wife/sister/girlfriend/mother is threatened with rape and murder, you make sure she's been instructed to hang around the place where she was attacked so that she can talk to the police. I'm sure they'd appreciate your concern.

Especially in a city where the Police barely function and may or may not show up when called.

They never threatened her with rape, according to her own testimony. But that's beside the point. Hopefully, a relative of mine would know better than to run to her car and potentially have the attackers follow her home and do even more harm... before she called the police.

Sounds like she may have been a little frightened that they were going to rape her to me. I guess you just read things through different eyes than a woman.
    One man began circling her. She heard a gun being cocked. He used his foot to spread her legs apart. Terror washed over her.

“I was getting really scared,” said Ro. “I was so afraid they were going to rape me. He kicked my foot and he cocked it.”

“I kept freaking out, listening for noise. You know, to hear if he was taking his pants off. I was just so afraid of getting raped, because there was three guys.”

Read more: http://www.windsorstar.com/Terrifyin...#ixzz1KB2fCQfc
    They never threatened her with rape, according to her own testimony. But that's beside the point. Hopefully, a relative of mine would know better than to run to her car and potentially have the attackers follow her home and do even more harm... before she called the police.

Sounds like she may have been a little frightened that they were going to rape her to me. I guess you just read things through different eyes than a woman.
    I read where she said that she was afraid that they might rape her. But I didn't read her say that they actually threatened to rape her.

Okay, whatever; you believe what you like. Just because they didn't say 'We're going to rape you bitch' that makes it all okay. She had no reason to be afraid, and the whole thing is a hoax. I'm so glad that you made me see the error of my ways.
    Next time someone grabs your wallet, kicks you in the nuts or punches you in the face, if they didn't say they were going to do it, there's nothing to be afraid of.
    I read where she said that she was afraid that they might rape her. But I didn't read her say that they actually threatened to rape her.

Okay, whatever; you believe what you like. Just because they didn't say 'We're going to rape you bitch' that makes it all okay. She had no reason to be afraid, and the whole thing is a hoax. I'm so glad that you made me see the error of my ways.
    Next time someone grabs your wallet, kicks you in the nuts or punches you in the face, if they didn't say they were going to do it, there's nothing to be afraid of.
    Or I guess my reading comprehension skills are just better? If they wanted to rape her then they would have. But they obviously did not, nor is she explicitly quoted in the article as saying that they threatened to rape her.

I'm not saying that she didn't have a right to be scared, but how she handled the situation was just not smart at all. Being able to react appropriately in situations where your life is in danger is oftentimes the difference between life and death.

My reading comprehension levels are quite good, thank you; what you are refusing to see is that regardless of whether or not they threatened to rape her, she was afraid they would. She had no clue UNTIL THEY WERE GONE that they weren't going to rape, maim or kill her. Who the hell cares if she was 'explicitely quoted' that they threatened to rape her? She reacted in a way that most people would react; leave, get the hell out of Dodge, beat feet, motor. Leave the area before they come back. I don't give a shit if she was in Detroit, Windsor or London; if three men hold a gun to your head and make movements like they may rape and kill you, you don't stick around afterward to see if they'll come back and follow through. She did react appropriately by leaving. She called the cops when she got home. If she had lived in Dearborn, would you be saying she shouldn't have gone home? I doubt it. She just wanted to be safe and home is where she felt safe.
    Or I guess my reading comprehension skills are just better? If they wanted to rape her then they would have. But they obviously did not, nor is she explicitly quoted in the article as saying that they threatened to rape her.

I'm not saying that she didn't have a right to be scared, but how she handled the situation was just not smart at all. Being able to react appropriately in situations where your life is in danger is oftentimes the difference between life and death.