Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Vox View Post
    Not only that, but the noise generated by a light rail line is fairly large in comparison to other modes of transportation.. I'd consider that before moving right next door to a track either.
    This is as close as you've come to an answer yet. Thank you. Unfortunately, I don't know what kind of light rail lines you've been exposed to in the past, but they have a reputation for being quiet. They're electrically powered. There is no roaring engine, just a quiet electric motor. You might hear a "whoosh" or soft rumble, but that's about it.

So, since that's out, are there any other reasons why some may not want to live near a light rail line?

Vox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    This is as close as you've come to an answer yet. Thank you. Unfortunately, I don't know what kind of light rail lines you've been exposed to in the past, but they have a reputation for being quiet. They're electrically powered. There is no roaring engine, just a quiet electric motor. You might hear a "whoosh" or soft rumble, but that's about it.

So, since that's out, are there any other reasons why some may not want to live near a light rail line?
    I for one don't have any objection to living close to one. You are reading what you want to see, as usual. Actually, I live not far from bus transportation and close enough to walk to Woodward in a pinch. What I am saying is that there should be competent feeder lines in to this line, whether you like it or not.

I for one don't have any objection to living close to one. You are reading what you want to see, as usual. Actually, I live not far from bus transportation and close enough to walk to Woodward in a pinch. What I am saying is that there should be competent feeder lines in to this line, whether you like it or not.
    No, what you said is that some may not want to live near a light rail line.

... not everyone is able to live in and around the line, although some may say that would be preferable.
    What I'd like to know is, these people who are not able to live in and around the line, some of which would say it's preferable. Please let me know why these people would prefer not to. No dodging. No backpedaling. No changing subjects. Let me have it, please.

Vox Guest

No, what you said is that some may not want to live near a light rail line.

What I'd like to know is, these people who are not able to live in and around the line, some of which would say it's preferable. Please let me know why these people would prefer not to. No dodging. No backpedaling. No changing subjects. Let me have it, please.
    Great. My point would be, I don't want to live by YOU. I'd have to kill myself. And knowing that you are there would be good enough advertisment against even considering such a move to Detroit. .

Great. My point would be, I don't want to live by YOU. I'd have to kill myself. And knowing that you are there would be good enough advertisment against even considering such a move to Detroit. .
    Precisely the thoughtful, measured response I'd expected of you, Vox. Carry on.

I followed the exchange between you and DetroitNerd all the way down the page, and this made me laugh hysterically!

While I see what he was getting at, he just wouldn't lay off, and what you said was hilarious in that context!

Vox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by BrushStart View Post
    I followed the exchange between you and DetroitNerd all the way down the page, and this made me laugh hysterically!

While I see what he was getting at, he just wouldn't lay off, and what you said was hilarious in that context!
    Yes, I imagine that's why they tossed him out of NY after 11 years. One can only take so much self-important pronouncements before critical mass is attained. And he stole my arterial idea too.
    Last edited by Vox; April-11-11 at 08:26 PM.

I have no idea what that exchange was even about.

For one, the Woodward corridor probably has about 10 times as many people living in houses as in apartment buildings nowadays.

It's like folks were discussing a street in some Detroit-doppelganger, where one had to walk 15 minutes to encounter the rare living arrangement known as a house.

There are quite a few houses even directly on Woodward, especially north of 6 Mile.

As to the bond sale, I would say this is excellent news, and I hope this all works out. I would not build the whole thing at once, but there are probably reasons for combining the segments.

I believe Vox and others don't want to live near light rail because there isn't a Solar Roadway in its vicinity.

Unfortunately, I don't know what kind of light rail lines you've been exposed to in the past, but they have a reputation for being quiet. They're electrically powered. There is no roaring engine, just a quiet electric motor. You might hear a "whoosh" or soft rumble, but that's about it.
    You must never have been around a Detroit street car line. Those things weren't that quiet.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    You must never have been around a Detroit street car line. Those things weren't that quiet.
    Yeah, Hermod, and you must have never been on a Peter Witt car in winter, tossing coal into the stove to stay warm!

Obviously, there have been improvements in traction since, say, 1955. I would point to many modern light rail projects that are quieter and smoother than 50-year-old technology. I wonder, wonder, wonder why you would want to set the bar there ... oh, well ...

Yeah, Hermod, and you must have never been on a Peter Witt car in winter, tossing coal into the stove to stay warm!

Obviously, there have been improvements in traction since, say, 1955. I would point to many modern light rail projects that are quieter and smoother than 50-year-old technology. I wonder, wonder, wonder why you would want to set the bar there ... oh, well ...
    Yeah like the whisper quiet People Mover.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    Yeah like the whisper quiet People Mover.
    ...which isn't a rail system.

Quote Originally Posted by ghettopalmetto View Post
    A lack of scholarship or knowledge has seldom stopped Bailey from injecting his hoots from the back of the class.

Quote Originally Posted by ghettopalmetto View Post
    I'm sorry, is it maglev? Is it running on a cushion of air? I could have sworn it ran on a set of tracks... but that must be wrong then? Semanitcs aside, it the closest thing we have and the point was [[speaking from experience living near the damn thing for a year) it creates quite a damn racket at the turns.

oh and d nerd... to quote/ paraphrase you from up the thread... you can kiss the whitest part of my ass.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    oh and d nerd... to quote/ paraphrase you from up the thread... you can kiss the whitest part of my ass.
    Thanks, Bailey.

The People Mover. Wow. Only in Detroit would the powers-that-be decide to build a boutique rail hub for an ambitious light rail system -- and then not build the system. If you wanted to monkeywrench modern transit in Detroit, this is precisely the system you would build, as it would give anti-transit forces something to argue that all transit must be folly: Noisy, inefficient, expensive, underutilized -- essentially a "mass transit" system for out-of-towners.

Hey, go ahead and build a beltway that doesn't connect with any other freeways and tell me how that would be any different...

I'm pretty sure noise and maintenance go hand in hand and if the condition of ddot busses is any indication in 10 years this thing will be loud as hell. That said in SF there is a huge noise difference between the historic street cars and the MUNI light rail line. The old street cars can be heard for blocks and are a pretty rough ride compared to the Breda made LRV's.

Also as far as track alignment the SF light rail lines [[not historic Market Street Cars or the Cable Car system) have almost every alighnmet there is. In some areas the have dedicated surface ROW other areas they run with traffic and other areas such as down Market the same vehicles run as a subway. The only thing the DO NOT do is run curbside.

I moved to SF just about a year ago and was amazed by all of the transit options. Bus, Street Car, Cable Car, Lightrail, cal trian commuter rail and BART rapid rail transit. Truth be told I take the bus 98% of the time traveling inside the city.
    Last edited by MDoyle; April-12-11 at 11:06 AM.