Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Threaded View

Quote Originally Posted by jackie5275 View Post
    Is it perjury if you haven't taken an oath? I really don't think the Census Bureau is going to be looking to levy a fine against people who answered with a reasonable answer before April 1st. I think unless you have household members who are pregnant with an imminent due date or in hospice who could die at anytime, for most people, it is "reasonable to assume" whoever you have in your house today will be the same ones there next Thursday. Complete the form, mail it, and get it over with. That's what I did. I don't PSAs from the feds or anyone else nagging me to submit this form.
    I'm just being difficult to be difficult. My line of work requires very specific technical language, and I was just pointing out this little detail. I'm still waiting for April 2nd to give them my household's headcount anyway.

As far as the perjury, I don't think it has to necessarily be an oath. For example, if you read the 1040 form where you have to sign it, on that form, it is a declaration you make "under penalties of perjury."

Now, for the census form, there is no declaration to be made or even a signature required. It's even addressed to "resident", no specific person. How can fines be imposed then? And to whom would they be imposed? Heck, the census even got people's addresses in Ferndale, Oak Park, Gross Pointe among others wrong. People there got forms that were mailed to "Detroit" with the Ferndale, Oak Park, Gross Pointe zip codes. What's up with that? Can they scratch out Detroit and put their true city on there? If you don't, are you lying about your address?
    Last edited by johnsmith; March-23-10 at 12:00 PM.