Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

YAY!

At last, Detroit is free! Free from Synder and Orr's State control.

YAY Duggan

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    YAY!

At last, Detroit is free! Free from Synder and Orr's State control.

YAY Duggan
    Will save my YAY for after Duggan and City Council act like adults.

But unless you have political motivation, I don't see the problem with the State control. Orr and Snyder seemed to have done the best with what they were handed. It hurt, but not as much as it would have it we'd waited.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    Will save my YAY for after Duggan and City Council act like adults.

But unless you have political motivation, I don't see the problem with the State control. Orr and Snyder seemed to have done the best with what they were handed. It hurt, but not as much as it would have it we'd waited.
    What's more is that it seemed like most things had to be approved by city council anyway. It wasn't like they were lame ducks in the whole process.

Out of all of the players involved in rescuing Detroit from bankruptcy, Governor Snyder and Kevin Orr have done the best job of remaining level-headed and acting in a responsible, intelligent manner. The opposition has yet to come up with a coherent plan for rescuing the city or positioning it to thrive in the 21st century.

Quote Originally Posted by hortonz View Post
    Out of all of the players involved in rescuing Detroit from bankruptcy, Governor Snyder and Kevin Orr have done the best job of remaining level-headed and acting in a responsible, intelligent manner. The opposition has yet to come up with a coherent plan for rescuing the city or positioning it to thrive in the 21st century.
    I thought selling Belle Isle to a failed amusement park entity, and receiving 1/6th of the relief then if going with the State was fairly coherent.

Quote Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
    What's more is that it seemed like most things had to be approved by city council anyway.
    Not really. Orr could have overruled any of their decisions, which he did at least once with the Belle Isle lease.

But to placate the folks who opposed the EM appointment [[so things could move forward with taking over the city's operations and restructuring them), they gave City Council the illusion of having authority and the citizens of Detroit the illusion of democratic control with the November election...