Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

Does anyone know if a specific place has been set aside for a future W/D ferry?

Quote Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
    I would put it between Joe Louis Arena and the Riverfront apartments where there is a small inlet for the main docks. This benifets people coming to Detroit with the people mover station near by to give access to the rest of downtown. Those going to Windsor can park in the Joe Louis parking structure. The ground floor of parking structure was designed for a future commuter rail station that could make this area a major transit hub for downriver and western suburbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
    The future is now.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    What are these ferries going to be used for? Please tell me that they are going to shuttle people across the river, because that would be awesome.

I KNOW they are planning on using some vertical wind 'turbines' for at least SOME part of this project.

My best friend from high school has been working with them on at least light poles for the parking lot that will be self-powered...but the same firm makes a 10kWh industrial generator with cloth 'sails' that would exactly compliment the other cloth-sculpted structures on the Riverfront.

This firm is also trying to get the size and cost down...aiming for 1 to 3 kWh units for residential use. The big ones are about $40k, and they wanted to sell the home units for between $3 and 5k. I haven't talked with him about this in a while...but have checked continually to see when the light poles would be installed.

I drive by there as often as I can actually...glad to see that the drive from the RenCen all the way to Chene Park is open again.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by BrushStart View Post
    What are these ferries going to be used for? Please tell me that they are going to shuttle people across the river, because that would be awesome.
    Actually they are old NASA space shuttles for people wanting to use the Port to go into outer space. Actually the rationale is to provide some additional ways for workers to get across. Many workers may live in Detroit, but work in Canadian auto plants. Conversely, medical workers would be able to use the ferries and the Woodward line to get to jobs at DMC or HFH. Ferries might also be employed to provide transit along the Jefferson Corridor.

Actually they are old NASA space shuttles for people wanting to use the Port to go into outer space. Actually the rationale is to provide some additional ways for workers to get across. Many workers may live in Detroit, but work in Canadian auto plants. Conversely, medical workers would be able to use the ferries and the Woodward line to get to jobs at DMC or HFH. Ferries might also be employed to provide transit along the Jefferson Corridor.
    Haha. I'm just hoping that it will improve pedestrian mobility and traffic between Detroit and Windsor. It would be nice to be able to go to Windsor for the evening and visa-versa without having to drive, especially if one will be boozing.

You know, Detroit is closer to Windsor than Manhattan is to Brooklyn.

NorthEndere Guest

I can't believe I hadn't heard of this. How long has this been in the works, and did the dailies ever report on it?